PDA

View Full Version : Flush mount windshield

madmike
08-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Was wondering if anybody here has eliminated the chrome surround that trims out the windshield on a hardtop, and flush mounted the windshield?
I'm trying to decide which way I want to go before it ends up being the wrong direction.

Don't talk about what you are going to do,... talk about what you have DONE.

sweetolbob
08-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Madmike, I'm in final sanding on my 54 hardtop and have eliminated all the stainless trim around the windows. It was as easy as welding the mounting holes closed and smoothing. The flush mounted windshield could only be accomplished by reducing the windshield opening by welding to the existing metal. It would take extensive metal work to make the install look factory original. The only other option would be a larger windshield from another vehicle and this would probably require metalwork. Hope another member has a better solution for the windshield.Bob

madmike
08-28-2008, 06:20 PM
So, I'm prepared to add an additional border to "shrink" the opening if that is what you're telling me that you did. Any chance I could see a few pictures of what yours' looks like?:)

Oh! I re-read your reply, you are NOT eliminating the windshield trim, just the chrome around the base. What about the coupes, seems I see a black rubber gasket w/o any chrome on some of them

Dick Steinkamp
08-28-2008, 06:44 PM
IMHO, that might make the windshield look too "tiny".

The Regal stainless (and chromed pot metal below) on the outside of the rubber makes the windshield look "wall to wall" and I think helps the look of those cars.

The coupes came two ways...Regal like all hardtops, and Deluxe. Deluxe didn't have the stainless on the sides and the chromed pot metal underneath, but they did have the stainless imbeded in the rubber that holds the windshield in place (and the rear windshield). Again, I think this helps "expand" the windshield and make it look proportionally better.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Stude-a-mino%20old%20pics/oldpics6asmall.jpg

sweetolbob
08-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Mike, Unless I'm messing up your request, possible due to oldtimer's disease, I would just not reinstall the trim. Hope this pix helps, It's not my car but one from Ebay. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/sweetolbob/269e_1.jpg?t=1219968715

madmike
08-28-2008, 07:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

IMHO, that might make the windshield look too "tiny".

The Regal stainless (and chromed pot metal below) on the outside of the rubber makes the windshield look "wall to wall" and I think helps the look of those cars.

The coupes came two ways...Regal like all hardtops, and Deluxe. Deluxe didn't have the stainless on the sides and the chromed pot metal underneath, but they did have the stainless imbeded in the rubber that holds the windshield in place (and the rear windshield). Again, I think this helps "expand" the windshield and make it look proportionally better.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Stude-a-mino%20old%20pics/oldpics6asmall.jpg

O.K. Dick, does that mean that I can get the deluxe gasket and replace my stuff w/ that, and have in essence the same chrome overhang as the rear window has?

madmike
08-28-2008, 07:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob

Mike, Unless I'm messing up your request, possible due to oldtimer's disease, I would just not reinstall the trim. Hope this pix helps, It's not my car but one from Ebay. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/sweetolbob/269e_1.jpg?t=1219968715

Is that car currently on ebay? and if so is there more than one pic there?

Dick Steinkamp
08-28-2008, 07:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by madmike
O.K. Dick, does that mean that I can get the deluxe gasket and replace my stuff w/ that, and have in essence the same chrome overhang as the rear window has?

The gasket for the Regal and Deluxe is the same. Both had the stainless imbeded in the rubber. The Regal had ADDITIONAL stainless and chrome, but outside of the gasket and attached to the body.

I don't know if you could just leave out the stainless that was imbeded in the rubber if you wanted to. Seems possible.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

sweetolbob
08-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Mike, The car is in the completed items in Ebay motors. Just scroll through Studebaker vehicles in completed items, I believe there were about 86 listings. I am going to leave it all off as my 54 will be black around the windshield area. I've already mocked it up and like the look. If you can't find it, I'll try to get a url.

buddymander
08-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Ive been wanting to do something with the trim around the windshield on my 62 Hawk. I'm thinking about eliminating the drip rail to.