X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atten. Bondo

This item has your name all over it.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

I'm willin' to bet he's already watching it~ but he's not the only one- trust me!!! [:0]

Here's how I know~

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=21692

StudeDave '57 [8D]
    San Diego, Ca.
    San Diego County SDC
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I'm out, no PayPal, although it will be interesting to see the final bid.... [)]
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

JDP: Looks like Bondo took your advise - ended at $647.98 + shipping.

BONDO: great BUY. Bring it along to Lanc so we all can see it. Thanks.

toyman

Comment

quote:Originally posted by toyman

toyman
          I will. I had my eye on it ever since Gary pointed it out. I also did a lot of research to make sure it was for real. I have a photo of #2,produced by ALCO and as always back in those days they photographed new engines, no matter what the paint scheme in a medium gray. The photo was so good that I was able to read the builders plate off of #2 and checked the serial number. I also had some people at a railroad magazine check out the claim. Now I need to find a really good clear color photo of the engine, big enough for framing.

Comment

Bill,

Just got back from a show and glad to see you snagged it. Makes it worthwhile when someone can take advantage of a post. look forward to seeing it (as well as you and Ellen) in Lancaster.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I was quite excited by your post as I do not watch E-bay much anymore. I really appreciate your posting the link.

It will be in Lancaster. I am hoping to find a good color photograph 8x10 or larger of the engine in it's livery scheme, so I can have them both framed together.

Thanks

Comment

I'm glad that Bill Glass got that placque.
                An interesting sidelight: As far as I know the Alco buildings still exist in Schenectady not far from Union College. I'm not sure if they do, since it's a number of years since I've been there.
                Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Man,

Ya know how many T shirts one could buy with that kind of gelt?[?]

quote:Originally posted by toyman

toyman

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

Man,

Ya know how many T shirts one could buy with that kind of gelt?[?]

Gilden White smalll thru XL 347
                    Hanes Beefy T Darks 222
                    But that does not include shipping

Comment

How many of those shirts are an original part of a Studebaker-owned train? I'm glad you won the gelt, Bill[)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I guess that I should just have someone put everything on eBay.
                        My father had some giant ALCO pistons. He cut one in half and made bookends for me. I sold them in a yard sale in 2006 to an antique dealer for $15. The other pistons went to scrap.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Great snag, Bill. Has to be a pretty rare item to get that high, wow. I was afraid someone was going to write afterwards that they had five or six of those and you could have had one for free...[)]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Great snag, Bill. Has to be a pretty rare item to get that high, wow. I was afraid someone was going to write afterwards that they had five or six of those and you could have had one for free...[)]
                            Looking at some photos of the engine and it's twin, there might have been TWO plates on the locomotive. In the builders Photo of #2 it clearly shows the plate on the rear of the cab side with the long nose of the engine facing to the right. On a photo that was shown in the previous postings the color photo shows the plate on the left side of the cab with the long nose facing left. It is possible that some engine mfg's placed two plates on each engine.

Comment

quote:
                              Great snag, Bill. Has to be a pretty rare item to get that high, wow. I was afraid someone was going to write afterwards that they had five or six of those and you could have had one for free...
                              With this kind of Railroad memorbilia, you betcha. This came off of a lone unit. Only way I can think of that they would have multiples is if the guy spent an afternoon(or a few) on the deadline, and then I would love to know the story how he ended up getting so many, especially if he was an average railfan. We have more than a few of the CB&Q lanterns we picked up at the shows, as well as some that reside in the family(relatives in the railroad), and I know I would be pretty miffed if the lone authentic piece of railroad history I bought from a reputable vendor turned out to be a reproduction. I should say in the case of single locomotives that more than a number of railfans are paying attention to, getting the railroadiana can get pretty competitive, and selling reproductions when they are labeled as authentic is in general a baddd idea in this case. Now they do sell reproduction items, like some N&W builder's plates I was looking at earlier on the Web, but they clearly state that they are reproductions and will have a marking that label them as such.
                              Interesting enough, our neighbor has an ALCO piston in his shop. The piston is about the size of a coffee can, and the connecting rod comes up to about my kneecap. What's interesting is the connecting rod bolts; those head bolts we use, that's about the size of the connecting rod bolts that attach the connecting rod to the wrist pin under the piston. The piston does make a nice piece to use as a doorstop though....

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
                              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                              [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X