Dash differences, sedan vs C/K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash differences, sedan vs C/K

Does anyone know the differences between the dash in the 1954 sedan and a C/K? In other words, why won't the C/K dash (like a Hawk) fit a sedan?

TIA
    John

About the same difference between putting a Lark dash in a Hawk. They are two completely different cars and just about nothing interchanges.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I know the C/K is wider (but not how much) but I'm thinking the curvature of the windshield looks to be just about the same.

Of course the Lark is a wraparound windshield and would not fit a Hawk but the '54 sedan is not wraparound. Was thinking about bidding on the Hawk dash on Ebay but if it would require TOO much work....

John

Comment

Johnny; it is ALL about the windshield curvature, it is more different than it appears!

On '53's and '54's, even the radio faceplate is different, because of the top to bottom ANGLE being different between Sedan & Coupe also.

If you've done a little fiberglass work on boats, maybe you would know how to re-work it's entire shape to fit.

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It depends on the windshield type.
          If you have the flat windshield, any 53, 54 or dash from a flat windshield 55 will fit.

If you have the curved windshield, most any of the curved glass cars dash will fit...not counting the possible attachment points that may need a little rework.

I installed a 53-C/K Commander dash into my 54 Conestoga. I was told by several people it would not fit. In fact, it fits very well, just like the factory intended it to.
          I bought the dash from a guy that was making a custom (late model cut to fit) dash for his 53 Hard Top, so I know what it came out of...and what it did...fit into.

Mike

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

It depends on the windshield type.
            If you have the flat windshield, any 53, 54 or dash from a flat windshield 55 will fit.

If you have the curved windshield, most any of the curved glass cars dash will fit...not counting the possible attachment points that may need a little rework.

I installed a 53-C/K Commander dash into my 54 Conestoga. I was told by several people it would not fit. In fact, it fits very well, just like the factory intended it to.
            I bought the dash from a guy that was making a custom (late model cut to fit) dash for his 53 Hard Top, so I know what it came out of...and what it did...fit into.

Mike
            I guess I didn't make myself clear. I'm talking about the ENTIRE dash, not just the instrument panel. I'm considering installing a GT dash into my '54 LC. So YOU are saying it will probably fit, while others say it won't.

I guess it's like the Weber carbs. When asked if a combo of various rods, venturii and jets would work on a particular application, the standard answer is "Suck it and see".

I guess I'll have to "dash it and decide."

John

Comment

If Mike Gahlbeck can put a GT dash in a Transtar, it can be put in a sedan.

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Johnnywiffer

I installed a 53-C/K Commander dash into my 54 Conestoga.
                If a '53 C/K dash bolts into a '54 Conestoga, then a Hawk dash SHOULD bolt into a '54 LC.

OTOH, the Body Parts Catalog lists DIFFERENT part numbers for '53-54 C/K dash boards vs '53-54 Sedan dash boards...but for 1958, it lists the same P/N for C/K's and sedans. Perhaps the different part numbers for the earlier years was just some MINOR difference?

I dunno. '54 Sedan and C/K LOOK the same to me, and I have used chrome trim, radio block off plates, glove box doors, instrument cluster, etc. from a '53-54 sedan on a C/K dash with no problems.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
                  but for 1958, it lists the same P/N for C/K's and sedans. Perhaps the different part numbers for the earlier years was just some MINOR difference? Dick Steinkamp
                  Are you saying a '58 C/K dash is the same as a '54 sedan and or C/K, or are you saying that in '58 all dashes are the same across the board?
                  I beg to differ on the last statement~ never once have I seen a cyclops speedo in a Hawk...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                  San Diego, Ca.
                  San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                  '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
                  '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                  '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                  '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                  '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
                  '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57

Are you saying a '58 C/K dash is the same as a '54 sedan and or C/K

or are you saying that in '58 all dashes are the same across the board?
                    Actually, neither. [:I]

In double checking, different P/N's are listed for the 58 sedans and C/K's also.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                    X