Pete sheds a shoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete sheds a shoe

There's been a whine develop in Pete's driveline of late. It really started rather abruptly about a month ago. It was odd, I thought, in just how it acted, but I was sure it meant some sort of repair work in the not too distant future. Since I've had a freshly rebuilt 3.73 rear built and waiting for "someday", I figured that someday was approaching fast all of a sudden.

What was odd about how it whined was that it took about a half a mile before it started off - and while it was really sounding off at 40 MPH, prior to that - and to a lesser degree after 50, it wasn't so bad.
    So I was driving back from town today and hit a long section of country blacktop with no traffic visible behind me or in front. I decided I'd see what it might sound like at 70 or above.[}] I put my foot in the Edelbrock and Pete responded accordingly. 70 was upon us in short order and the whine - while there - wasn't as bad as it is at 45.

Well, I had SHORT opportunity to assess the situation because there was one HELL of a BANG! Checking the rear view mirror, I caught sight of a road alligator departing off my right rear quadrant[B)]. Naturally, I let off the throttle and wondered why the truck hadn't started to do wild gyrations that you'd expect when you'd lost your right rear tire! But there was NO gyrations, no ugly sound of a bare rim on blacktop - just the sound of Pete decelerating as it should be.

Cautionsly I gave the gas pedal a push again and it was as tho nothing had happened. I srove on the remaining 3 miles to home.
    During that 3 miles, I was wondering what ugly grief would confront me when I got home and took a look.
    I got to the driveway, shut Pete off and thought about what damage awaited my gaze. It wasn't as bad as I'd imagined, but it wasn't pretty either. The fender is bent and split in 2 or 3 places, the rear section of the bed is dented badly and the right wing of the step bumper's bent up. And the tire's tread section is all but completely gone! Amazing that the belted inner core held air and the beads stayed sealed to the rim to where I could drive on home![:I]

These are Brigestones that show amost no wear after bing put on in Sept of '01. They were put on because the LEFT rear had come apart on the way to a zone meet in Los Angeles that year! That incident really clobbered the rear fender that time. That incident is the reason Pete ended up with blue fenders. It so happened I had a spare set and it was just after 9/11.
    Anyway, I guess I'll be shopping for tires this week!

Edit: BTW, the whine's still there, so it wasn't the tire.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

I know it's painful, but do you have any pics? Just glad to hear the damage wasn't worse.
    You're a braver man than I for carrying on without stopping for a looksee first. [:0]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

There's been a whine develop in Pete's driveline of late. It really started rather abruptly about a month ago. It was odd, I thought, in just how it acted, but I was sure it meant some sort of repair work in the not too distant future. Since I've had a freshly rebuilt 3.73 rear built and waiting for "someday", I figured that someday was approaching fast all of a sudden.

What was odd about how it whined was that it took about a half a mile before it started off - and while it was really sounding off at 40 MPH, prior to that - and to a lesser degree after 50, it wasn't so bad.
      So I was driving back from town today and hit a long section of country blacktop with no traffic visible behind me or in front. I decided I'd see what it might sound like at 70 or above.[}] I put my foot in the Edelbrock and Pete responded accordingly. 70 was upon us in short order and the whine - while there - wasn't as bad as it is at 45.

Well, I had SHORT opportunity to assess the situation because there was one HELL of a BANG! Checking the rear view mirror, I caught sight of a road alligator departing off my right rear quadrant[B)]. Naturally, I let off the throttle and wondered why the truck hadn't started to do wild gyrations that you'd expect when you'd lost your right rear tire! But there was NO gyrations, no ugly sound of a bare rim on blacktop - just the sound of Pete decelerating as it should be.

Cautionsly I gave the gas pedal a push again and it was as tho nothing had happened. I srove on the remaining 3 miles to home.
      During that 3 miles, I was wondering what ugly grief would confront me when I got home and took a look.
      I got to the driveway, shut Pete off and thought about what damage awaited my gaze. It wasn't as bad as I'd imagined, but it wasn't pretty either. The fender is bent and split in 2 or 3 places, the rear section of the bed is dented badly and the right wing of the step bumper's bent up. And the tire's tread section is all but completely gone! Amazing that the belted inner core held air and the beads stayed sealed to the rim to where I could drive on home![:I]

These are Brigestones that show amost no wear after bing put on in Sept of '01. They were put on because the LEFT rear had come apart on the way to a zone meet in Los Angeles that year! That incident really clobbered the rear fender that time. That incident is the reason Pete ended up with blue fenders. It so happened I had a spare set and it was just after 9/11.
      Anyway, I guess I'll be shopping for tires this week!

Edit: BTW, the whine's still there, so it wasn't the tire.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

Biggs,

I'm sorry to hear of the damage to your truck, but the good thing is you are ok.

I believe your post can help to educate a lot of folks in SDC, especially those who (unlike you) may not drive their vehicles very much -- [u]check those tires!!</u>

My '63 Daytona had radials that had almost all the tread left, but the whitewalls were getting pretty dingy and wouldn't clean up. A little research on the internet, and I was ready to use 600 grit wet/dry to get down to nice new white rubber. What a shock when I took the first wheel off the car -- cracks in the sidewalls just under the tread area, and cracks between the tread grooves. Four new wheels (the car had mis-matched wheels) and tires later I was in good shape.

Just out of curiosity, we checked the date codes on the tires -- twelve and thirteen years old!!!! No wonder they were cracked. And the new tires ride a lot smoother too. I was probably heading for a tread separati
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Sadly, Bob; this is becoming all too common. Tires are so good, now, that they just don't wear out as quickly as they once did, so their spirit remains willing but their flesh is weak...or is it the other way around?[:0][?]

In a way, it almost validates buying the cheapest tires you can! Why buy long-tread-life tires and pay a premium price if the carcass may fail long before the tread wears out?[:0][}] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I wonder if LT tires are in the same situation... still see some larger trucks sporting tires that are decades old that seem to keep on going.

I am certainly not advocating this practice, but maybe the more skookum original construction provides better longevity?

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

The ugly truth of it!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Ouch! [B)] Oh well Bob... gives you a chance to get rid of those ugly white walls and give Pete a nice set of new blackwall tires so he looks like a real TRUCK. (Steve Blake made me say that)

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
              </h5>
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

This is almost the exact same damage that happened to the left rear quadrant in '01. That time I had LT tires on it, although I can't remember what brand they were. I was doing 75 or 80 that time and the whole tire blew out BOOM!!! These bridgstones were not the cheapest thing I could find - I figured a bit more money would buy more tire. OF COURSE... that was seven years ago and who knows how long they'd been sitting in storage someplace. I'll see if I can find a date code on one of them.
                As BP observed, these have LOTS of good tread on them!

Looking back, I'd been across town just before this happened. I pulled out of a new Lowes store onto what's a fairly new road and I thought I sensed the tiniest bit of wiggle to the truck as I was turning out onto the throughfare. Once I straightened out, it was gone and I wrote it off to, well, I don't know what really. It was 102 out and I was focused on getting home where the A/C was![xx(]
                Surely tho, that wiggle was a sign that the tread was coming loose from the carcass.[V]

As to why I didn't stop to investigate? It was 102 out, the truck was cruising smoothly after it shed it's skin and I had some perishable foodstuffs that I wanted to get home with. And too, I thought about a deflating tire possibility. I wrote initially that I was 3 miles from home, but now that I think of it, it was probably half that. Since I didn't have anything more than a little bottle jack with me, I didn't fancy bein' on the side of the road - as hot as it was - and tryin' to drop the spare and change the tire. I had seen the tread fling off onto the shoulder of the road so I didn't think it would present a hazard.

I think the old theory is that bad things come in threes. Well, there was my mother's passing last week (although it could be considered a merciful event in some ways). Then the wife lost her brand new cellphone last Friday.
                Yesterday morning, I found a wild kitten had gotten into our dove cage and ate two doves before deciding to take a cat nap to digest his meal! And then, of course, there's Pete's misstep. That's four. Maybe I'll just sit at this keyboard today.[B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

Comment

That's OK, Mark. I've been thinking of finding new wheels for it and this just might be the time. Fact is, I've got a set of Lincoln wheels here that would fit. Maybe I'll have my tire guys find something I like.
                  I DO have a spare fender for that side although it's still in red. Maybe this will be the point where I go back to a stock 2-tone color scheme. I'd like to hear some input on whether I should go back to 2-tone or go with blue fenders and stars again. What say ye all???

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

Comment

Blue fenders and stars. Pete stands out that way.

Dan
                    52 hardtop

Comment

I think you should stick with the starry blue fenders, Biggs. It looks great!

By the by, I went by the local luxury car graveyard again yesterday, see TW Vol38:6 letters. They've added two late fifties transtars and a 53-4 landcruiser. I left yet another note, not that it's ever done any good.[V] The Towne sedan seems to be gone though. Hopefully, it got a new home...

quote:Tires are so good, now, that they just don't wear out as quickly as they once did, so their flesh their spirit remains willing but their flesh is weak...or is it the other way around?
                      Um, did you mean to paraphrase, "their flesh is weak but the spirit is willing," Bob? Being that the original text of the quote uses the word gnosis, then the word could be used for air, wind or spirit. So, quite appropriate (LOL). After all, the air did stick around.

According to the oft reached conclusion in this thread, I now feel less guilty about buying my Chineese Kingstars. Bess and the Daytona sure ride nice on them and the investment was minimal. However, I think this year I'll get snow-tires for Bess.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
                        I think the old theory is that bad things come in threes. Well, there was my mother's passing last week (although it could be considered a merciful event in some ways). Then the wife lost her brand new cellphone last Friday.
                        Yesterday morning, I found a wild kitten had gotten into our dove cage and ate two doves before deciding to take a cat nap to digest his meal! And then, of course, there's Pete's misstep. That's four. Maybe I'll just sit at this keyboard today.[B)]

I vote for three, Bob, per your original observation. While losing the cell phone was certainly a disappointment, I don't think it rises to the level of the other three...just my humble opinion, you understand... [8D]BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker
                          quote:Tires are so good, now, that they just don't wear out as quickly as they once did, so their flesh their spirit remains willing but their flesh is weak...or is it the other way around?
                          Um, did you mean to paraphrase, "their flesh is weak but the spirit is willing," Bob? Being that the original text of the quote uses the word gnosis, then the word could be used for air, wind or spirit. So, quite appropriate (LOL). After all, the air did stick around.

Ron Smith
                          Thanks, Ron. I noticed that on a re-read and edited accordingly. BP

Comment

I'll cast my vote for the Stars, too, Bob. Pete's a real handsome truck wearing those colors!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                            '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Bob K. - Since the tires still have/had most of their tread left, I would go to an authorized Bridgestone dealer and try to collect on the warranty. You may need the tread that came off to verify the amount of tread still left on the tires at the time of the mishap.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X