New People !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New People !

Today I had some very nice people down to look at one of my trucks I have forsale . I had noticed that I didn't see his name in the SDC roster and this guy has 3 Studebkaers , 2 trucks and a CK hardtop. I mentioned it to him if he belonged to any Studebaker club and he said he wasn't the type or had time for clubs . I gave him a TW's that I had a double for ( always buy one at the museum just for this reason) He was amazed...think we'll have a new member very shortly by the sound of it It just amazes me how people keep their Studes going without belonging to the SDC !

LANCASTER or BUST
    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "
    1950 2R5
    1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Absolutely. It amazes me to run into someone with one or more Studebakers and an apparent interest in old cars, who honestly has not heard of SDC! I think we [SDC] do a good job trying to be visible through many means, but I guess you can't hit 'em all. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I don't think Bob said that the fellow hadn't [u]heard</u> of the SDC, rather, he had excuses why he had never joined (not the joining type, no time, etc.) But with the power of the internet, it is entirely feasible to me that a Studebaker could be kept in top notch condition without its owner belonging to SDC. Consider that most of the large Studebaker vendors have a strong web presence and the large number of Studebaker vehicles and parts that change hands every day on E-Bay, Craig's list (and a few other sites). Don't get me wrong, the value of belonging to SDC and the local chapter are indisputable to me, but may not be as obvious to some folks.
      Bob (2R5) did a very smart thing by giving the guy a copy of Turning Wheels. Events such as International Drive your Studebaker Day (July 4th 2009) can't hurt either!

55 Commander
      58 Transtar
      62 GT Hawk
      66 Cruiser

Comment

2R5, which one of those beautiful pickups you sellin'?

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

The Zone Coordinator in each Zone has available to him/her a supply of back TW issues for Chapters to hand out to prospective members.This is handled through Cornerstone Registration.I have a box full from which I on occasion give copies to Chapters when I visit them or will mail if requested. Chapters might want to check into that. "The Studebaker Story" pamphlet is also available through the same channels. In my case Chapters in the North Central Zone may contact me for same.

Frank van Doorn
          North Central Zone Coordinator.

quote:Originally posted by 2R5

Today I had some very nice people down to look at one of my trucks I have forsale . I had noticed that I didn't see his name in the SDC roster and this guy has 3 Studebkaers , 2 trucks and a CK hardtop. I mentioned it to him if he belonged to any Studebaker club and he said he wasn't the type or had time for clubs . I gave him a TW's that I had a double for ( always buy one at the museum just for this reason) He was amazed...think we'll have a new member very shortly by the sound of it It just amazes me how people keep their Studes going without belonging to the SDC !

LANCASTER or BUST
          1950 2R5
          1960 Champ
          1964 Daytona HT
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I've noticed in the last few days that it seems we are having a real surge in new posts from both new members and lurkers speaking up. I amd loving it. I tried to be a lurker, but failed miserably.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

No actually the fella never heard of SDC ...he was referring to local clubs when he stated he had no interest . The issue i gave him was the one for the Omaha meet , he was really impressed with all the colored pictures of those winning Studes. I think if your going to give out a TW it should be a meet issue ...those are usually the most impressive.
              Matt ...its the '50 and he made me a very good offer

LANCASTER or BUST
              1950 2R5
              1960 Champ
              1964 Daytona HT
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

The Zone Coordinator in each Zone has available to him/her a supply of back TW issues for Chapters to hand out to prospective members. This is handled through Cornerstone Registration. &lt;snip&gt;
                And that may well be one of the best kept SDC secrets![:0] All you 12,000+ SDC Members please raise your hand if you were aware that you could get back issues of TURNING WHEELS through Cornerstone Registration to help expand our membership

Comment

Ok, here I go. I am going to expose my vulnerability in order to perhaps spur some kind of action by someone who has the knowledge and authority to do something.

I did not know I was in a zone. (No, I knew "I" was in a zone, just not my SDC club.)
                  I did not know there was a zone leader. (I've only been on Earth for a short while.)
                  I did not know there was any effort from the top of SDC down to recruit or encourage membership. The only requirement of this kind I knew was the local club required me to join the national club. I already had before I knew about the local club.
                  These are important benefits to know about in order for all of us to help the club improve and grow. Why don't we know? Maybe we need a forum where a policy is posted each week for our perusal and acquaintanceship. I know that reviewing policies sounds really bad and negative, but as friendly as the format of this group is, I can't imagine that would enter the picture. Someone could just throw out a factoid and let us read it and discuss it maybe. Just not overload us. And no arguing, just discussion on how to use and improve per policy.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HookedonStudies

I don't think Bob said that the fellow hadn't [u]heard</u> of the SDC, rather, he had excuses why he had never joined (not the joining type, no time, etc.) But with the power of the internet, it is entirely feasible to me that a Studebaker could be kept in top notch condition without its owner belonging to SDC. Consider that most of the large Studebaker vendors have a strong web presence and the large number of Studebaker vehicles and parts that change hands every day on E-Bay, Craig's list (and a few other sites). Don't get me wrong, the value of belonging to SDC and the local chapter are indisputable to me, but may not be as obvious to some folks.
                    Bob (2R5) did a very smart thing by giving the guy a copy of Turning Wheels. Events such as International Drive your Studebaker Day (July 4th 2009) can't hurt either!
                    Actually it's quite easy to maintain a Stude without the internet or the club(s) as the vendors don't change ownership much and most parts can be bought at your FLAPS.

Comment

If members have read our Presidents message in TW each month they would find that almost monthly President Ed Reynolds's message will touch on recruiting and other membership issues. Just the last two issues come to mind, August and September. I would be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability and so would some of the SDC Directors that frequent this Forum.
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Just to clarify,members can get these TW back issues from their Chapter who in turn is supplied by their Regional Manager or Zone Coordinator. Only the zone Coordinator can request his supply from Cornerstone.

SDC Members please raise your hand if you were aware that you could get back issues of TURNING WHEELS through Cornerstone Registration to help expand our membership
                        [/quote]
                        Frank van Doorn
                        Omaha, Ne.
                        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

If members have read our Presidents message in TW each month they would find that almost monthly President Ed Reynolds's message will touch on recruiting and other membership issues. Just the last two issues come to mind, August and September. I would be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability and so would some of the SDC Directors that frequent this Forum.
                          Well, we gave our August TW to our Granddaughter because she still has not received hers and our September TW has yet to arrive, so I must plead complete ignorance on the President's recent recruiting message. Our Chapter's Membership Committee Chairperson just walked into the room and read your post. She also pleads complete ignorance at the Chapter level on the subject of free TW back issues to help promote SDC Membership.

Comment

Well that certainly was a nice gesture on your part to share your TW. If someone wants mine they would have to pry it from from my cold stiff fingers Seriously, the promotional materials are available to all Chapters. Your membership person should contact your state's Regional Manager to get some back issues. He/she should be listed under SDC contacts on the home page of the website here.Your granddaughter should contact Cornerstone for a replacement issue.

quote:Originally posted by A1956GoldenHawk

Well, we gave our August TW to our Granddaughter because she still has not received hers and our September TW has yet to arrive, so I must plead complete ignorance on the President's recent recruiting message. Our Chapter's Membership Committee Chairperson just walked into the room and read your post. She also pleads complete ignorance at the Chapter level on the subject of free TW back issues to help promote SDC Membership.
                            Frank van Doorn
                            Omaha, Ne.
                            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

&lt;snip&gt; Your granddaughter should contact Cornerstone for a replacement issue.
                              Thanks 41 Frank. She has been in direct (meaning face-to-face) contact at the very highest levels of SDC about missing TW. They took the time to get her caught up on the Nov. & Dec. 2007 issues she was missing then.[B)]

Comment

Working...
                              X