Hello from a new guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from a new guy

Hello everyone, I am just saying hello as I have been lurking around the site, reading old posts and stuff.

I'm the new owner of a 1956 President Pinehurst Wagon. The car was actually given to me by a guy who had it as a project and was not going to get around to work it. Anyway here are some photos:

Brian

Welcome!! Best of luck to you on your new car! This is the place to get all of the advice, opinions and most of the parts you will ever need for you Stude!

Can't wait to drive my V-8!
    '63 Lark

Comment

Welcome Brian! You lucky dog, no one has ever given me a car (yet!) You will no doubt hear from many others how desirable and collectable wagons have become - particularly the 2 door variety. Also - if you haven't joined the SDC yet - let me be the first to invite you to do so.

Pat

55 Commander
      58 Transtar
      62 GT Hawk
      66 Cruiser

Comment

Welcome Brian

Mabel 1949 Champion
        1957 Silverhawk
        1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        1955 President State
        Fresno,Ca
        Mabel 1949 Champion
        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        The Prez 1955 President State
        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
        Fresno,Ca

Comment

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forum......and best yet the advice given, is all free!!!

I'm still waiting for one of the forum members to "loan" me one
          of theirs...as some tend to "overstocked" with Studebakers!

glen
          Nowhere, AZ
          "Freedom Through Vigilance"

Comment

Welcome from another North Easter! I'm in Central NY.

You've got a great car there to work with- a great model, good color scheme, nicely equipped! Well worth restoring[^]

As a fellow NEer, allow me to make one suggestion: If you aren't going to be working on or moving it soon, definitely get it up off the ground immediately! Just jack it up a foot or two and put it on some blocks, so air can circulate under it freely.

The first thing I do to newbies is ask for PICTURES- you're one step ahead of me[^] Good luck with the car!!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Well Brian, fancy meeting you here! Glad to have you among the Studebaker folks. I think you'll find this a very good source of information. I have found this forum very enjoyable and has been a good place for Stude info.

When will you be back to Maxton?

Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Editor of "The Down Easterner"
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Great looking car. I'm jealous of your new wheels. Does she run?
                Before you go tearing her to pieces, I would see if you can bring her back to life.
                I would get her mechanically sound and then restore her as you go. Drive it as you restore it.
                So many guys tear them to pieces and become overwhelmed with the process and sell them as a basket case. With a little gentle massaging in the right places it looks like she could be a driver.
                You've come to the right place if you need advice.
                The guys and gals in here are great.
                Keep us posted with more pics.

[img=left]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/360197307_8639ee4a46_m.jpg[/img=left]
                ~Nitram~
                57 Transtar

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Actually you have Joe Roberts to blame for my presence here. I told Joe about this car way back in the spring at Maxton, NC. I was there because I am a freelancer for Hot Rod Magazine and I was covering the event. Before you have horrible visions of a Small Block Chevy in the front of this car, rest assured that's not in the plan. It will DEFINITELY remain motorvated by the 289....although the plan is to give it a little help Chicken Hawk style.

Bob, that's the location I found the car in. I am towing it back to my house tomorrow so more and much higher qualiy photos will be following tomorrow evening when we get it home. As a guy who has seen NE cars rot from every angle, I fear rust as much as anyone!

One other weird connection. In my research about the Studebaker company, I see in the later phases of it's public existence it became Worthington-Studebaker. Does anyone know if this is the same Worthington company that manufactured tractors? If so, it's a cosmic coincidence, because I own a late 1940's Worthington tractor too! If not, then well, disregard the entire last paragraph.

I have seen production numbers around 2,000 for the President Pinehurst Wagon...I think I have also read something on the order of 35-3600 produced. Does anyone have any more/better data than that? Either way it's very low!

Thanks again everyone!

Brian

Comment

Welcome Brian from another New Englander! I'm just a short drive down the road in CT. You are in a great area for help. The Ocean Bay Chapter is excellent, lots of friendly knowledgeable folks to help you. Here is a link to their website: http://www.oceanbaychapter.com/oceanbay/ I am a wagon owner, too. I have a '57 Packard wagon. At the rate I am going, you will have yours on the road before I do!

Chip
                    Chip
                    '63 Cruiser
                    '57 Packard wagon
                    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Nitram

Nitram, according to the guy who is giving me the car they had it turning over but could not get it to start. Obviously that tells me fuel or spark...I'm guessing spark.

I do not plan on blowing the thing up to start, but the car does need to be gone over well before it could be road worthy. The interior is pretty thrashed as well, but hey, I do not have the expectation of having this car on the road in 2 weeks...it's going to be a project.

Raoul, I was up in Vermont recently visiting a guy who has a massive collection of classic cars (don't call it a junkyard) but it was there that I laid eyes onto a 1958 Packard, which I was told is a rebadged Stude...is that right? It sure looked like one.

Brian

Comment

Glad to have you here, Brian! You've got a pretty exclusive vehicle, too. I don't believe I've ever seen a tri-tone wagon!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                        '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

The red upper section seems to have been brush painted on some time ago. You can see on the hood that the original black is showing through. I'm not sure if it was for rust proofing or maybe some type of primer or something, either way it's certainly unique looking...ha!

Brian

Comment

Welcome to the forum Brian.Its nice to have a low production model.

Lenny
                            Atlanta Ga.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

quote:Originally posted by Nitram

Nitram, according to the guy who is giving me the car they had it turning over but could not get it to start. Obviously that tells me fuel or spark...I'm guessing spark.

I do not plan on blowing the thing up to start, but the car does need to be gone over well before it could be road worthy. The interior is pretty thrashed as well, but hey, I do not have the expectation of having this car on the road in 2 weeks...it's going to be a project.

Raoul, I was up in Vermont recently visiting a guy who has a massive collection of classic cars (don't call it a junkyard) but it was there that I laid eyes onto a 1958 Packard, which I was told is a rebadged Stude...is that right? It sure looked like one.

Brian
                              Yes, the '57 and '58 Packards are really Studebakers. BTW, it's Chip, Raoul is just a screen name.

Chip
                              Chip
                              '63 Cruiser
                              '57 Packard wagon
                              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X