What color should I paint my "50."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What color should I paint my "50."

I have representatives from 3 different restoration shops who will be coming to look at my car within the next few days. It is all taken apart and sandblasted and has a wash on it to keep it from rusting. One is coming tomorrow afternoon.

I think that I will have it painted red again but would like to see a paint chart showing the colors that were used on the 50 Champions.

If someone could send me a picture of a paint chart I would really appreciate it. n9prz@hotmail.com I would be interested in buying a chart if not too expensive, just to hang in my garage with my other memorabilia too.

It seems that everyone has a different idea as to the kind/type of paint that I should use on it. I would like for it to look original, no flakes/sparkles etc. Some seem to think using the type that has a clear coat over it would be best but am not sure that I want that much shine.

When I got the car it was black and the wheels were a dark wine or burgandy color with a white or beige stripe on them. They looked very original. My question is, did most or all the cars have the wheels a different color than the body?

I hope to drive the car on a regular basis, (a lot!) during good weather but otherwise it will be in an insulated garage with a concrete floor but no climatizer. Suggestions will be appreciated.

Jimmie

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    I'VE SAVED SO MUCH DAYLIGHT THAT THERE'S NO DARK TO SLEEP IN ANYMORE!
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

For each body color there is a specific wheel color and a different stripe color. There are two stripes, each a different width.

As can be seen from 20 year old marks, our '50 is Plaza Gray with Concord Blue wheels and Garnet Red Stripes.

Perry
    '23 Special Six,
    '50 Business Champ,
    '50 Starlight Champ,
    '60 Lark droptop,
    '63 GT R1
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champion
    \'50 Starlight Champion
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

What color are the door jambs and the engine compartment? Color is a personal decision. What I may like on a car (Panther Pink ) someone else may not
      (Dick Steinkamp ). Off that color chart, I personally like the Shenandoah Green. But the interior may not match, the jambs and engine compartment will need to be done, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

My 51 Land Cruiser was painted Black Cherry about 35 years ago over the original Comanche Red. The wheels are Comanche Red. It looks great and maybe you might want to consider it for your 50 2dr sedan.

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"
        Fozzie Bear in 'The Muppet Movie'

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
        Jim Mann
        Victoria, B.C.
        Canada
        \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
        Jim Mann
        Victoria, B.C.
        Canada

Comment

Here you go...
          For Sedans, I like Black-Cherry, Coupes and Convertibles-Tulip Cream.
          Reds are very common, as well as Greens... I like "different" colors.
          I don't think any of them look good in Falcon Grey, Plaza Grey, or Fiesta Tan. I have never seen one Copper Mist- but would like to...

I have formulas for Tulip Cream and Bahama Mist in Base/Clear

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
          Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
          Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

I'm beginning to think that good old acrylic enamel with a hardener beats all of this base/clear stuff for longevity.

Comment

ChopStu
              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

AERO BLUE For the aero looking car!!

The 1950 Champion Starlight
                Santa Barbara
                CA

Comment

I just inherited this starlight. It is an original 50K car. I have never seen one this color and looking at the charts I do not see this color on them. Anyone ever see one this color? The color tag is missing under the glove box and I cannot find evidence anywhere of it ever being a different color. I have not ordered the build sheet yet. Thanks

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk
                  1964 Convertable
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1962 Lark 4 Door
                  1950 Commander Starlight
                  1950 Commander Starlight
                  1950 Commander Starlight
                  Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Definitely Bermuda Green!! Gives the car majesty and presence. And with all due respect, Studeman's chart doesn't show it properly. Guess we'll see if my car shows it in my signature. I can't remember how good the pics are.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Since this thread is on 1950 colors can someone please tell me what color they think mine is? It says blue on the original bill of sale but it looks more green to me. There was no sticker under my glove box either so is there any other number on the car that could tell me what color it is? It was repainted once in 1991 and is supposed to be the original color....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Are you using 'bill of sale' as meaning a dealer's sales receipt or the production order? Get the production order and it will tell you the actual original color. "It's repainted the original color" is hit or miss, maybe. You never know. The PO is available from the Studebaker Museum for only a measly $40.

Comment

I guess it's the purchase order. You can see that it says "C. Blue" on it so I guess it's supposed to be Concord Blue....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Ok Dave, that is the sales ticket from the dealer, not the production order from the Studebaker factory. But if you can specify that C. Blue is Concord Blue (which is a proper color), then you have your answer.

Comment

Working...
                            X