Winks Drive In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winks Drive In

Hello,well it is almost time for Winks Drive In Cruise in Barberton Ohio. I will be there, but Stuart is still waiting for a new exhaust system. The auto museum that I do consulting work for will have their raffle car there. It is a 1978 Coupe De Ville. I will be selling tickets if you want to say hello. The museum is the Crawford Auto/Aviation museum in Cleveland Ohio. While I am online, who is a good supplier for exhaust systems? I have to order everyting from the Y Pipe back, Stuart is a 1962 Lark Cruiser with a 259.
    Thanks.

If you want to stay with the single exhaust, any of our vendors would be happy to help. If you want to upgrade to duals, then the vendors are there too with the original sized pipe, but if you need to go with aluminized pipe or a larger size, then you might contact Dave T-Bow. I got my exhaust system from him when I did my Avanti in the 90's & he was very helpful & fair. If you want stainless steel pipe, then call Don Simmons. Both advertize in Turning Wheels.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

For those not going to Ohio for Winks, can we buy chances for that raffle Cadillac online? If so, how/where?

Too bad you can't bring the last Studebaker Avanti built, an R3, that resides at the Crawford Museum, to Winks.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Find a good shop and get a quote on the exhaust system. One quoted me $160 for duals on my pickup. I've yet to ask around anywhere else.

Gary, would you be interesting in a '71 Eldorado ragtop? Needs a good bit of cosmetic work, but it's a solid, presentable, drivable car.

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Find a good shop and get a quote on the exhaust system. One quoted me $160 for duals on my pickup. I've yet to ask around anywhere else.

Gary, would you be interesting in a '71 Eldorado ragtop? Needs a good bit of cosmetic work, but it's a solid, presentable, drivable car.

[b]Matthew Burnette
          No, but thanks for asking.
          I like '79-'85 Eldorado coupes and the boxy Coupe d'Villes.
          The only Cadillac that I have owned was a 1959 Series 60 Special.
          I have driven many tens of thousands of miles in stretched Cadillac limousines.
          I buy a lot of chances for car raffles and would be interested in making a "donation" to the Crawford. I have never been as lucky as you and actually won a vehicle. There have been years where I probably could have bought a vehicle with all of the money that I donated to raffle vehicles <G>.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I went to the Crawford Museum's web site and cruised around it for awhile and did not find any mention of a raffle Cadillac.

They do list Avanti 5643 as being a "2 door hardtop". This should be corrected.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Speaking of those Avantis, I remember many years ago when I lived on the west side of cleveland driving past Joe Erdelac,s Stude- AMC store[ which I think Barnlark{?} was in front of in one of last weeks pictures, although I don't think he knew that]and I stopped to look at two Avantis up on the corner of the lot that he had for sale
              One was white-= one was black--and both were expensiveeeee

I am still kicking myself for not buying one of them--the black one especially--although I don't think that's the R3 is it?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ceecab

Speaking of those Avantis, I remember many years ago when I lived on the west side of cleveland driving past Joe Erdelac,s Stude- AMC store[ which I think Barnlark{?} was in front of in one of last weeks pictures, although I don't think he knew that]and I stopped to look at two Avantis up on the corner of the lot that he had for sale

I am still kicking myself for not buying one of them--the black one especially--although I don't think that's the R3 is it?
                Joe E. dealt in used Avantis for many years. I doubt that he had any of his special cars on the lot. At least once per year, for many years, I visited with him and his collection. My initial "in" to get to meet him and his Avantis was pulling up in my 1953 Commander Starliner. Covered up in the back building was his 1964 R3 Avanti, S/N 5643 (it is white), along with other special cars like the cross-country Allstate Avanti that he had shipped back from California.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

well- whoever I talked to that told me the price--also said they --or one of them at least were the last Studebaker Avantis built, which is why they were so expensive

One white--and one black-- both brand new

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by ceecab

ceecab, not sure if you still live near here, but I took pictures of both of the Erdelac dealerships for our local newsletters this winter. One was a Ford dealership that just moved farther south on Broadway and is now a generic used car lot. The other on Lorain Ave, is a U-haul dealership and you wouldn't recognize it as a former Studebaker building. The one in my signature is not a former Erdelac location as far as I know. I will have to search that Studebaker dealerships thread earlier this year to find what it was..1290 W.117th street, Cleveland.

[img][/img]

Comment

West side Erdelac location..

[img][/img]

East side..

[img][/img]

Neither Frank Lloyd Wright, or I.M. Pei were involved in redesigning these buildings since their Studebaker glory days. [B)]

Comment

The west side (Lorain) is where Joe stored the Avantis.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Doesn't look like it has any more romantic memories left these days, does it, Gary? Thanks for the confirmation. Any idea on the W. 117th location? I actually went through that ten page dealer thread and didn't find it. I may check with the Western Reserve Historical Library next to the Crawford to see if they know. Their photo collection is amazing.

Comment

In 1978, my Ford Pinto Station Wagon died and I needed another car fast. I went to Joe Erderlac's AMC and bought a 1976 Gremlin. It developed a starting issue and I needed to take it back to the dealer. The service guy told me to bring it back in a week. I waited a week and dropped it off at 8:00 AM. I took a bus to work and school. I came back at 4:30, they did not have time to look at it. Bring it back in another week. This happen three times. Finally, on the fourth time. I walked in the showroom and called my father at work to vent. There was a man in a pinstriped suit dusting a Sportabout. After I hung up, he came over to me and said that he was Joe Erderlac. He said that the first mistake I made was not going to the man whose name was on the building. He took me back to the service department and told the manager that my car would be fixed by the end of the day, or it was his job. It was fixed within an hour.A true gentleman. By the way, the white Avanti that we have belonged to his daughter, Connie, former president of the Friends of Crawford.

Comment

As I recall the Avanti in the Crawford was the last R3. It was sold by a dealer in Jackson, MS. A friend of mine in the club who may be a lurker on this forum saw it at the dealership when it was new.
                              Denny L

Comment

Working...
                              X