SUPERLARK...to be or not to be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUPERLARK...to be or not to be

The use of superlark or superhawk when used in reference to a factory supercharged car in normal conversation is a grey area to say for sure. While it is absolutely true that only package cars were called super cars by the factory, there were cars built with all the factory options that were not package cars at all. If I am correct there were also the original fully optioned cars known as "fast cars", case in point is the "fast car" owned by Nelson Boves friend, Larry Scott (both very knowledged individuals I might add). This was also to my recollection not a package car. So...fully optioned supercharged cars should not be called supercars at all and hence be degraded a notch or so...hhmmm. Another interesting thought to ponder...A full package R1 lark is a superlark but a much more powerful and masculine R2 non package car would only be a lark with a supercharger (but CERTAINLY not a clone ). I do fully understand the factory designation of the full package super car and do not want to argue or upset anyone, I am merely offering food for thought. I own quite a few factory supercharged studes including a factory R3 avanti and although I am certainly no expert, I am of the opinion that all supercharged larks and hawks be called supercars among us enthusiasts. I know some of us will disagree and thats fine. I also know that the TECHNICAL definition must include "package" (46A} to be a supercar and they should also bring up to a 20 percent premium as they are much rarer.....agreed. However, I think a supercharged R2 with a four speed, posi and some options sitting next to a "full package" R1 superlark has every right being casually called a superlark as well ( say the least)as I would think most people would see the R2 SUPERCHARGED car as a lot more "SUPER" than the R1 package car. Ted Harbits car is a great example as the TOMATO sure looks, sounds and rips up dragstrips like a superlark to me. Again,my intention is not to start an argument but rather suggest we dont become so tecnical when someone calls an R2 car like JDPs old lark a superlark. After all most of us do know the technical requirement when push comes to shove.

Interesting comment, and it makes sense to me; but I'm a relative newbie.

Any chance you have a picture album online of your impressive collection? I've always wanted to see it...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Factory built package cars, of any make, usually have some little pieces not usually found on a car special ordered with the same engine and heavy duty pieces. That does not mean that the special order or even special built performance car is not a good car and worthy of respect, but it does effect the price among the show crowd. I would happily drive either one and not care one way or the other, but some people would.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
      "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:So...fully optioned supercharged cars should not be called supercars at all and hence be degraded a notch or so...hhmmm.
        If a car truly had all of the options it would include the package 46A option. I understand where you're coming from on this but let me point out two problems.

First if you were to include cars that where not originally package cars into the Super Lark/Hawk description how would you define them? Only supercharged cars? Would an R2/R3 Avanti be a Super Avanti? What about R1 cars that have most of the options but are missing only one or so i.e. 160 mph speedo?

The second problem is Mr. Poe's 63 Lark. While not a supercharged car it out runs many of the supposedly more masculine R2 Hawks and Avantis.

I say let's call a spade a spade. If its a package car then its a Super Lark/Hawk and if not then its not. Lets not confuse people by changing the name of a car some 40 years after it was built. The definition shouldn't be a grey area. It's also important to remember as old members begin leaving the club and new members take their place that the correct details are passed down so that in 50 years we won't have to hear about the supercharged cars that Ford built under the Studebaker name.

Nick

Comment

I agree completely with Nick's quote below.

"I say let's call a spade a spade. If its a package car then its a Super Lark/Hawk and if not then its not."

A definition of a SuperLark is clearly defined from the Studebaker factory. That means it is equipped with 46A on the production order. The details of this package are clear. Any Stude not equipped with this package is not a true SuperLark. Nothing grey about this. It's black and white.

Really, you can call your Stude anything you want. We have many nicknames for our cars. But when describing how a Stude was originally equipped, let's not falsely label some cars SuperLarks when they are not.

Just two more cents to think about. Jeff

Comment

It doesn't matter to me one bit if it is called a "Package Car" or not. My choice is that it have a factory Paxton and a 4 speed. I have observed that the Studebaker hobby does not attract a large amount of people who care either like other makes do. For example, I do not believe we will ever get to a Bloomington Gold level designation of judging in SDC world. If you like it and it lights you up to drive it more power to you Tom, package or not.

1957 Packard Clipper
            1958 Golden Hawk
            1963 Daytona Convertible
            1963 R2 Daytona
            1963 R2 GT Hawk
            1963 R1 Wagonaire
            1963 R4 Avanti
            1964 Champ
            1966 Cruiser

Comment

and just to add:

"The proper title of superlark or superhawk is a grey area to say for sure".

This statement is just not true. You can make a confusing argument all day long but it does not change the facts.

1957 Packard Clipper
              1958 Golden Hawk
              1963 Daytona Convertible
              1963 R2 Daytona
              1963 R2 GT Hawk
              1963 R1 Wagonaire
              1963 R4 Avanti
              1964 Champ
              1966 Cruiser

Comment

Yep, no package on the build sheet, not a package car/SuperLark/Hawk, real simple.

JDP/Maryland
                "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                Thomas Jefferson
                JDP Maryland

Comment

A supercharged car could be ordered with all the options seperately and not be a full package 46A car and some, however few, were built this way like it or not. There were six "fast cars" built and I believe they all had every option available but were built before the super lark was an option. My point is that the same exact cars were built with identical options , but but were not all classified as super cars....in other words the only difference was on the build sheet. Same exact car, different name. I am not saying their is no difference in dollar value but rather in the fact they are the same car as far as performance. And as far as Mr Poes car is concerned, it is not the bar for R1 larks to be compared to. His car is abnormally fast as some factory engines were better balanced, had smoother head castings(less resistance) slightly better cam lift, etc,etc. Most R1 larks can can never hit 14.90 without head porting and other little tricks. 99% of R1 larks do not run that fast period and are typically a second to a second and a half slower than an R2 in the quarter mile (the supercharger did more than look cool) As far as avantis are concerned, they cost twice as much as a lark when they were new and are not in the same class. A super lark is an avanti powered lark like an L88 camaro is corvette powered, hence there is no super avanti. 61Lark, I do understand your point though and I dont want get in a pissing contest, I am merely saying lets not condemn someone for refering to their supercharged lark or hawk as a superlark or superhawk when it is in fact a supercharged car."Supercharged" and "superlark" kind of go hand in hand. We all know the real definition of a "superlark full package 46A" and this is well documented as not be lost for historical purposes. But if a guy calls his bad ass supercharged lark or hawk a "superlark" or "superhawk" because it is "supercharged" GOD bless em. I own full package and non package cars and they are all supercars in my book.....technically correct or not!

Comment

Again, I understand the difference and have for twenty years. I own 3 full package cars as we speak. My point ...ITS NO BIG DEAL if some guy calls his supercharged car a "supercar" in normal conversation as long as he is not trying to deceive anyone. If he is selling it,it is important to say full package or not for sure. But otherwise let the guys who dont have package cars call em what they want. Sorry if I sound too foward, but I continually read nitpickers give nice cars crap because they are innocently called supercars because they are supercharged.

Comment

It's impossible to order all the full package parts without the package option. The grill badge, tachometer and speedo are the most obvious examples.You can call any Studebaker you like a Supercar, but SuperLark/Hawk are unique names.

JDP/Maryland
                      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                      Thomas Jefferson
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

The speedo and tach were both offered as options, check your options list for 1963. I have had many non package cars with a tach or 160 speedo. In fact virtually any R2 car I have ever seen had tachometers, but 160 speedos are a much rarer(and later in the model year) option. The red line tach in the hawk was only with the package, but most hawks had tachs. As far as the lark....those tachs were the same, package or optioned. Your probably right about Grill Badges not being offered though. I guess Its my personal preferance to call all the supercharged cars "supercars"..sounds cooler to the brand X guys.(but technially Ive always known the difference)

Comment

I not aware the package 160 MPH speedo and redline tach were separate options.I could not find them on my option list and certainly the grill badge was not. Even if they were, and the car was optioned out with the`same options as a package car, it still is not a package car. Performance is not the issue. My old R2 Lark is faster then a R1 SuperLark, but is still not a SuperLark.

JDP/Maryland
                          Thomas Jefferson
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

Agreed...it never was nor ever will be a genuine "superlark".But I still enjoy using the term in casual reference in regard to any factory supercharged studebaker from 1963 or 1964, especially in front of all those brand X guys. Tom

Comment

That's OK, there was a guy at York that took that a bit too far. He had a 55 Speedster COUPE, with all he Speedster stuff on a C body.

JDP/Maryland
                              Thomas Jefferson
                              JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X