Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another dandy Stude day! (Pix to follow...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another dandy Stude day! (Pix to follow...)

Hi all--

A terrific day today; SDC Hamilton Chapter, in lieu of the normal August meeting, ran an economy rally followed by a sumptuous pig-roast at the Glanbrook home of one of the chapter member couples. Even the weather--predicted as iffy--instead remained splendid throughout the day.

About ten cars "contested" (maybe an overly strong term!) the rally, including my currently-quite-reliable Lark...Betty finished last in the six-cylinder division, but that's nothing shameful, as there were only two sixes in the run...the winner being a superbly-tuned 51 Starlight. The V8 division was won by one of our newest, and youngest, members, in a 66 Cruiser.

At the beautiful farm property for the pig-roast, about fifty SDCers gathered, and the grouping of cars was like a small zone meet: seventeen Studes, a 47 Ford and a postwar Willys Jeep panel wagon. As usual I busied myself taking scads of photos, some of which could, I think, be TW material given today's venue, weather, and the quality of the cars. A few of those will surface on here once they're ready.

Betty only balked once, just as I was leaving to return home; she more or less sneezed three or four times and then stalled. Put her back in Park, turned the key again and she fired just fine, proceeding the rest of the way home without complaint. Good ol' car...she made it to five different cruises this past week, too.

But nifty vehicles notwithstanding, the best aspect of a day like today is always the people, the camaraderie. And so it was today. Hats off to hosts Wayne and Sharon Hamilton, rally organizers Roly and Sue Lusted, et al...today was great!

Cheers

S.

Here are some pix from yesterday's Hamilton chapter gathering...

Lineup at the start of the run; my 62 is at far left.

The 66 Cruiser which won the V8 class, and a lovely 63 GT Hawk, seen at the Hamiltons' farm after the run.

Some of the approximately 50 SDCers who attended.

A classy pair...the 51 Champion Starlight which won the 6-cyl class, and a 63 Daytona droptop which was the only convertible to turn out on what was predicted to be an "iffy" day weatherwise...

Most of the Studes are visible here...

The lineup seen from the other end. All but a couple of the Studes can be seen here; also present, a 47 Ford and a Willys Jeep panel wagon.

65 Commander 4dr.

62 Lark Daytona hardtop rod had come to the farm gathering direct from the Woodward Dream Cruise; owner had parked his Stude beside a Shelby Mustang with a six-figure valuation...guess which of the two cars was the crowd magnet (hint: it wasn't the 'stang)!

Scarce and very classy with its Avanti wheels, this 66 Daytona Sport Sedan gets underway at day's end. I'd never seen this one before.

Enjoy y'all...

S.

Comment

Here are some pix from yesterday's Hamilton chapter gathering...

Lineup at the start of the run; my 62 is at far left.

The 66 Cruiser which won the V8 class, and a lovely 63 GT Hawk, seen at the Hamiltons' farm after the run.

Some of the approximately 50 SDCers who attended.

A classy pair...the 51 Champion Starlight which won the 6-cyl class, and a 63 Daytona droptop which was the only convertible to turn out on what was predicted to be an "iffy" day weatherwise...

Most of the Studes are visible here...

The lineup seen from the other end. All but a couple of the Studes can be seen here; also present, a 47 Ford and a Willys Jeep panel wagon.

65 Commander 4dr.

62 Lark Daytona hardtop rod had come to the farm gathering direct from the Woodward Dream Cruise; owner had parked his Stude beside a Shelby Mustang with a six-figure valuation...guess which of the two cars was the crowd magnet (hint: it wasn't the 'stang)!

Scarce and very classy with its Avanti wheels, this 66 Daytona Sport Sedan gets underway at day's end. I'd never seen this one before.

Enjoy y'all...

S.

Comment

Great turnout of super looking Studes!

Chris Pile
        Midway Chapter SDC
        The Studebaker Special
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Thanks for the post.

What is an "economy rally"?

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

What is an "economy rally"?

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA
            A rally for CASO's??? [}]

Great pics Steve. [^]

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
            May 23 & 24, 2009?
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Hi Dick--

Well, the route, plotted out in advance and using a fill-in-the-blanks quiz to ensure completion, is essentially a "scavenger hunt on wheels"; fuel consumption is calculated from fillups at each end of the run, the amount used divided by the difference in odometer reading, the winners being the most fuel-efficient...an old idea whose time, given the cost of gas, has surely come around again! This run, through Glanbrook Township and Haldimand County, was the longest trip my Lark has made since I acquired the old gal last fall. She ran beautifully, though not, alas, as efficiently as that lovely 51 Starlight...Very cool that the V8 winner was the chapter's new teenager, codriving his recently-acquired 66 Cruiser with his dad (also an old-car guy, has a 27 Ford T).

Cheers

S.

Comment

A great idea to get members to actually DRIVE their Studes!

Thanks for the explanation, Steve.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

There sure are a lot of Hamiltonions who are into aftermarket wheels eh!

That'll be the day, when an Avanti wears THOSE wheels, that are on that '66 Sport Sedan!

I'd like to see that beautiful (all original?) '64 Deep Red Daytona Hardtop that only showed his nose! [^] []

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

There sure are a lot of Hamiltonions who are into aftermarket wheels eh!

That'll be the day, when an Avanti wears THOSE wheels, that are on that '66 Sport Sedan!

I'd like to see that beautiful (all original?) '64 Deep Red Daytona Hardtop that only showed his nose! [^] []

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich--

Okey dokey, can do...you'll be referring to Bob Barrick's 64 with its classic Cragars, and here she be...

S.

Comment

Rich--

Okey dokey, can do...you'll be referring to Bob Barrick's 64 with its classic Cragars, and here she be...

S.

Comment

Now that's a beauty, with period correct wheels! Real nice! Thanks! [^]

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here are a couple shots of Betty the day of the event...

On the way up to Glanbrook I stopped on this very aptly-named street for pix, as I had intended to for a while...

During the run, my impromptu nav Harold and I ran across this forlorn trio of interesting old cars in the town of Ohsweken. The main town on the Six Nations Reserve southwest of Hamilton, Ohsweken is also home to Ontario's largest dirt speedway...which is the place where I fantasize about running that old Lark stocker I saw out in the weeds up north years ago! That track is a blast, even as strictly a spectator like me. And the town is not, lest anyone think it is, as rundown as these cars...! Right to left here are my Lark, a circa-1970 Charger, a circa-1953 Pontiac sedan, and an early 70s Jaguar XJ6.

S.

Comment

Here are a couple shots of Betty the day of the event...

On the way up to Glanbrook I stopped on this very aptly-named street for pix, as I had intended to for a while...

During the run, my impromptu nav Harold and I ran across this forlorn trio of interesting old cars in the town of Ohsweken. The main town on the Six Nations Reserve southwest of Hamilton, Ohsweken is also home to Ontario's largest dirt speedway...which is the place where I fantasize about running that old Lark stocker I saw out in the weeds up north years ago! That track is a blast, even as strictly a spectator like me. And the town is not, lest anyone think it is, as rundown as these cars...! Right to left here are my Lark, a circa-1970 Charger, a circa-1953 Pontiac sedan, and an early 70s Jaguar XJ6.

S.

Comment

Working...
                              X