Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

57 Pres. in Seattle- might be a good deal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Pres. in Seattle- might be a good deal!

It says "Best Offer"...

289, P/W, looks pretty decent...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

This one has been on Craigs list forever. Originally it was posted at $3k or so.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

This one has been on Craigs list forever. Originally it was posted at $3k or so.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Fairly unusual car, actually. It's not the long-wheelbase Classic, but has PS and PB and Power Windows...an unusual combination considering the original owners didn't spring the extra $132 [:0] for the longer Classic. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Fairly unusual car, actually. It's not the long-wheelbase Classic, but has PS and PB and Power Windows...an unusual combination considering the original owners didn't spring the extra $132 [:0] for the longer Classic. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I talked to the owner Dennis, a few minutes ago, he says he just found it in a Eastern Wash. Orchard last week, I don't think this one has been listed before. It is a President 4Dr. Sedan "W" body, not a Classic ("Y"), all original with unusual power window option, P/S, P/B, Auto. 289 4V, needs seats covered and rear window re-installed, removed because of damaged rubber seal, so it would not "blow out". The only floor rust is a bit of bubbling around the dimmer switch, has dented rocker panels, one broken T/L Lens, offers over his cost of around $1300.00 will take it.

He has not tried to start it yet, but has done what has worked for him many times on trucks and tractors, a bit different than how I do the oiling up loosening up thing. What he does is pour a good amount of Diesel down the carb. and let it soak with spark plugs out. But it is supposed to be a 70,000 mile original car, stored in a dry climate that should run.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I talked to the owner Dennis, a few minutes ago, he says he just found it in a Eastern Wash. Orchard last week, I don't think this one has been listed before. It is a President 4Dr. Sedan "W" body, not a Classic ("Y"), all original with unusual power window option, P/S, P/B, Auto. 289 4V, needs seats covered and rear window re-installed, removed because of damaged rubber seal, so it would not "blow out". The only floor rust is a bit of bubbling around the dimmer switch, has dented rocker panels, one broken T/L Lens, offers over his cost of around $1300.00 will take it.

He has not tried to start it yet, but has done what has worked for him many times on trucks and tractors, a bit different than how I do the oiling up loosening up thing. What he does is pour a good amount of Diesel down the carb. and let it soak with spark plugs out. But it is supposed to be a 70,000 mile original car, stored in a dry climate that should run.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If it was not so far, (like a lot of others) it would be in my stable. 56-58 Sedans are the best riding, driving cars Studebaker had. Opinionated yes I am.

Ebon...
                [img][/img]

"I sweat to keep others cool"

Comment

If it was not so far, (like a lot of others) it would be in my stable. 56-58 Sedans are the best riding, driving cars Studebaker had. Opinionated yes I am.

Ebon...
                  [img][/img]

"I sweat to keep others cool"

Comment

Rich, does it run? Sure sounds on the money for that!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Rich, does it run? Sure sounds on the money for that!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I agree with Palma and Ebon's assessments here. Odd to think that someone would opt for PW and not the extra few inches. Of course, it was just such optional choices that probably saw the end of the 2-door Presidents after '57. Whatever a President sedanette cost over a Commander 2-door got you 30 extra cubic inches (With a TWO-BBL no less!), a few more bits of brightwork and finned drums!
                        I'd love either a short or long President 4dr, but I do think having the short one in the mix was superfluous.

This one appears to be worth every penny of something over $1300.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I see an older lady ordering this car who did not want a "big" car to wheel around, did not need all the luxury interior and all plus cost of the Classic, but wanted it to be easy to drive, i.e. P/S, P/B and maybe (this could be a bit of a stretch!) the "safety" of being able to quickly close all 4 windows!

But she did need be be able to getaway quickly though, hence the 4 Brl. (to chase the apple thiefs!) Or maybe she had a husband who liked to occasionally "DRIVE" the car! [}]

For most people though, you could not have gotten more for your 1957 $132.00 in any other car than a President Classic with luxury Interior, carpeting, rear stabilizer bar, 289 engine, 4 Brl. Carb. Dual exhaust, H.D. Finned 11", 10" rear drums, opening rear vent windows, rear seat arm rest, electric clock, padded dash, deluxe horn ring, 2 speed electric wipers, back-up lights, glove compartment light, dual horns, undercoating & turn signals all standard.
                          Not in a Olds, Pontiac, Buick, Mercury, Desoto, or Dodge! [^]

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I see an older lady ordering this car who did not want a "big" car to wheel around, did not need all the luxury interior and all plus cost of the Classic, but wanted it to be easy to drive, i.e. P/S, P/B and maybe (this could be a bit of a stretch!) the "safety" of being able to quickly close all 4 windows!

But she did need be be able to getaway quickly though, hence the 4 Brl. (to chase the apple thiefs!) Or maybe she had a husband who liked to occasionally "DRIVE" the car! [}]

For most people though, you could not have gotten more for your 1957 $132.00 in any other car than a President Classic with luxury Interior, carpeting, rear stabilizer bar, 289 engine, 4 Brl. Carb. Dual exhaust, H.D. Finned 11", 10" rear drums, opening rear vent windows, rear seat arm rest, electric clock, padded dash, deluxe horn ring, 2 speed electric wipers, back-up lights, glove compartment light, dual horns, undercoating & turn signals all standard.
                            Not in a Olds, Pontiac, Buick, Mercury, Desoto, or Dodge! [^]

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi
                              I noted that car on Craigslist as well, looks decent for the money if it runs. It was listed on Ebay earlier this year, was bid to a realistic offer but the seller didn't take it.

Were it not so far and prohibitively costly to transport here, I'd like to have it. I prefer the President Classic, had one I stupidly sold in in '91. As others have noted, it impressed me as a fine driving and riding car, roomy and reasonably luxurious. I am still looking for another one for a driver. I would be a real plus if it where loaded with power options as this one. The only feature that was missing from the '57 Classic standards list was the rear seat fold-down arm rest. That feature was reserved for the Clipper Town Sedan as it was considered the more luxurious model.

Still, that car would make some owner a nice driver they could enjoy.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X