Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Definitive "Cheap" Avanti

Scary Car!

Wow. That's the pure definition of "used car". I bet with all the frame rot the tail wags like a dog going down the road.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

doesn't look that bad to me... of course I'd want to see it in person to make sure that everything that looks like surface rust really was. If it were up here I'd be tempted to bid on it, JDP's excellent advice notwithstanding.

Of course, I grew up in western PA so my perspectives are a little warped.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

As a side note...there's a great picture of the GM trans mounting for those of us that have converted or wish to convert from the Powershift.

ErnieR

Comment

Buy it N8, then I know I'll have weekend company for a few years until you run out of money. 10K to make it a beater, maybe 20K for a driver.

JDP/Maryland
          "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
          Thomas Jefferson
          JDP Maryland

Comment

whaddaya mean? It's a beater already I've even got an extra pair of Porsche front seats ready to go in it... I'm just heathen enough to do the bare minimum to get it through inspection and then spray it with some cheap ass paint and just drive the wheels off it.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

"just drive the wheels off it"

From the looks of the frame you wouldn't get much drive time before the wheels did fall off :&gt.

Comment

"just drive the wheels off it"

From the looks of the frame you wouldn't get much drive time before the wheels did fall off :&gt.

Comment

N8, it won't pass inspection with rusted hog troughs and frame. You could get Historic tags and avoid bumps though.

JDP/Maryland
                  "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                  Thomas Jefferson
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

N8, it won't pass inspection with rusted hog troughs and frame. You could get Historic tags and avoid bumps though.

JDP/Maryland
                    Thomas Jefferson
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Some other observations - It is a 1973. He says that there were only 106 made. I believe that there were 126. He mentions a "400 c.u." engine, whatever that is. I guess that he means a 400 ci Chevrolet. He states that 1973 was the first year for the 400. I believe that 1972 was the first year for Avantis with a 400. Note the 1964-1965 Studebaker wheelcovers. For someone that wants a project or something to part out, it must be worth more than the current bid of $305.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Some other observations - It is a 1973. He says that there were only 106 made. I believe that there were 126. He mentions a "400 c.u." engine, whatever that is. I guess that he means a 400 ci Chevrolet. He states that 1973 was the first year for the 400. I believe that 1972 was the first year for Avantis with a 400. Note the 1964-1965 Studebaker wheelcovers. For someone that wants a project or something to part out, it must be worth more than the current bid of $305.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

It's perfect and I hear it calling for John P. JOHNNNNNN........JOHNNNNNN....SAVE ME!
                          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

It's perfect and I hear it calling for John P. JOHNNNNNN........JOHNNNNNN....SAVE ME!
                            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Yup that's your big boy [)]. I'm not sure on the vintage but we have or had an Avanti II out here with a 400. If I'm not mistaken, this particular Avanti II is also a little harder to find with a 400. I dunno bout Chevy's case but Pontiac's case this what most people opted for, for the Firebird when it first rolled out, which makes finding a Firebird with a six a little more spotty now. If I'm not mistaken the 400 was referred to as a midblock, not too big, not too small, but somewhere in the middle, lol.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
                              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                              [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X