This is exactly what I need!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is exactly what I need!

I have been looking for a lightweight trailer to haul my horsedrawn vehicles on. This one is the right length and aluminum to boot.

Anyone got one cheap they can get to me in the next three weeks?

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

There's lots of snowmobile trailers in my area... if you'd come to NY for one, I could look around...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

For something like this, I would. Needs to be lightweight and preferably 26+ feet long.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I'll check around.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Will, that's a very nice truck. Thanks for posting the link to it.
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Guido,
            One caveat, those aluminum snowmobile trailers tend to eat tires. I'm not totally sure if they routinely mis-align the axles, or they can't carry the capacity listed, but it seems like 2 years is about max per tire and if you were heading out on a longer trip I would carry 2 mounted spares, because you would be likely to use at least one. ... just my 2 cents worth and its worth exactly that (if you have the decimal dude factor in inflation for 1858 dollars!)[^]

55 Commander
            58 Transtar
            62 GT Hawk
            66 Cruiser

Comment

Guido,
              One caveat, those aluminum snowmobile trailers tend to eat tires. I'm not totally sure if they routinely mis-align the axles, or they can't carry the capacity listed, but it seems like 2 years is about max per tire and if you were heading out on a longer trip I would carry 2 mounted spares, because you would be likely to use at least one. ... just my 2 cents worth and its worth exactly that (if you have the decimal dude factor in inflation for 1858 dollars!)[^]

55 Commander
              58 Transtar
              62 GT Hawk
              66 Cruiser

Comment

If you did purchase such a trailer, I'd strongly suggest putting an air-shield on the forward-most part of the deck. This would prevent the loss of seats and valuable parts. Towing Horse-drawn vehicles on a flat-bed trailer is risky at highway speeds. They aren't designed for it.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

If you did purchase such a trailer, I'd strongly suggest putting an air-shield on the forward-most part of the deck. This would prevent the loss of seats and valuable parts. Towing Horse-drawn vehicles on a flat-bed trailer is risky at highway speeds. They aren't designed for it.

Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

So.... the speed limits were lower in horse-drawn days?[:I]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Haven't really looked yet, but one turned up today; just about identical, but 17', asking $3000. No idea if that's any indication of market value or not.

The listing you referenced looks like a good deal, and there's no reserve showing... but I bet the listing gets pulled right near the end if it doesn't come WAY up.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Haven't really looked yet, but one turned up today; just about identical, but 17', asking $3000. No idea if that's any indication of market value or not.

The listing you referenced looks like a good deal, and there's no reserve showing... but I bet the listing gets pulled right near the end if it doesn't come WAY up.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

The tag says 3600 pound max cargo load, that would scare me.

JDP/Maryland
                          "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                          Thomas Jefferson
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

I'm starting to think you might be better off custom-building one. Go with car-hauler axles and their much bigger, and therefore better, tires and brakes, but go with a much lighter frame and deck than you'd use for cars. I'm thinking a couple old pop-up camper frames combined with an expanded metal deck.

This would be purpose-built, since it would be nowhere near heavy enogh to haul a car; but would be a practical rig for hauling buggies, and probably light enough to tow with your Exploder...

I gather you're not one to fabricate and build things; if that's the case, and you had to hire it out, that might not be a good plan.

I've got a couple camper frames and tongues here, and it's well within my scope; and I could come up with good axles. Come on up for a couple days and we'll build one!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                            X