Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1960 champ truck and lark fan shroud, the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 champ truck and lark fan shroud, the same?

I have a 60 champ truck with a flat head 6 and a 3 speed non overdrive and it didnt come with a fan shroud. the fan is several inches from the radiator and when I run it on the freeway the fan just doesnt quite get the job done as the temp gauge just slowly keeps creeping up till it goes past 3/4. I am wondering if the shroud from a much more common lark would bolt on and fit and if anyone out there might have one they would part with?? would be glad to pay for it and shipping. please let me know. thanks.

guess no one knows .....

Comment

Sup, I have never seen a Champ truck with a shroud. I have a 63 T-cab and that did not come with a shroud. But with the radiator in it I have had no problems. You can always make yourself up one if you think you really need it.

Comment

Hey Super,Dave T-bow makes a repo fan shroud for Lark types.He might be able to answer your question AND sell you the part.

Comment

I acquired two champ trucks to build one truck. Neither truck came with shroud.

Comment

I have never compared a Lark side by side to a T cab truck, but I believe that the trucks used different radiators and the T cab is mounted higher on the frame compared to the Lark. My guess would be that a shroud for the truck would be different. Of course, it might be possible to adapt one if you had it available and didn't mind working it over.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
            "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

If your overheating problem only occurs at freeway speeds it is most likely not related to the lack of a shroud. At freeway speeds most vehicles don't require a fan to stay cool. I would look for a restricted radiator core not letting the coolant circulate fast enough at higher speeds first, also check the heat riser operation and thermostat.

Frank van Doorn
              1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
              1963 Daytona Conv
              1941 Champion R-2 Rod
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

If you are driving a 170 or 245 Six, more than 50-55 MPH with 4.09 gears and no Overdrive, that is 90% of your problem!

If so, you would be exceeding it's "comfort zone", a steady cruise RPM of 2400-2800 RPM!

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by supersonictoys

I have a 60 champ truck with a flat head 6 and a 3 speed non overdrive and it didnt come with a fan shroud. the fan is several inches from the radiator and when I run it on the freeway the fan just doesnt quite get the job done as the temp gauge just slowly keeps creeping up till it goes past 3/4. I am wondering if the shroud from a much more common lark would bolt on and fit and if anyone out there might have one they would part with?? would be glad to pay for it and shipping. please let me know. thanks.
                  There is no fan shroud listed for the Champ truck in either 57-61 or 62-64 parts books.

I have yet to see one in a Lark!

3E38
                  4E2
                  4E28
                  5E13
                  7E7
                  8E7
                  8E12
                  8E28

59 Lark
                  etc

Comment

The fan shroud was a very rarely ordered option usually on Air Conditioned later Larks, and I remember seeing the one of about three I have ever seen, in the pic's of the '63 2Dr. Lark Marshall that JDP sold on ebay with several H.D. options and standard items... How about that! ... I've got it! [^]

I think this car is a 289 Auto. 2V. W/P/S, and Pwr. Drum Brakes, W/S Washer, & Tinted W/S only.
                    Amazing isn't it what that Northeastern SALT can do! My guess is the whole body and frame under that nice paint is GONE!
                    I think it would be a good idea, if there is a whole lot of non-shroud discussion about this car or otherwise to take it to a new post, however, rather than sabatauge Super's post!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by supersonictoys

I have a shroud for a late Lark hanging on the wall of my garage. I originally bought it for my '63 Wagonaire when I tried to convert it to AC. I also have a '63 Champ pickup. So, tomorrow evening I can take some measurements to see if the shroud will fit the Champ. I haven't used my pickup in a long time so I can't remember whether the radiator is different. By the way, the temp gauges on all my Studebakers read more than 3/4 when hot because I have always used 195-degree thermostats. So, I don't consider this a problem unless you are running a cooler thermostat and want the temperature that low. Regardless, if it is overheating I'd look for other causes since these trucks did not come with fan shrouds as far as I know and should not need one to keep the engine from overheating. Maybe the cooling passages in the engine block are full of crud. Another thought - maybe the fan IS further away from the radiator than it should be. I can't remember if there were different spacers for different applications. Maybe a previous owner set it up wrong. I will see how close the fan is to the radiator on my Champ, although it is a V8 model and not a six. ~Dale

Front side

Rear side

PN 1550705

My '61 Champ pickup has radiator PN 1554339. This PN is listed in the truck part manual. It is also listed in the car chassis part manual for '62 and '63 Lark. So, I assume that the fan shroud will fit the Champ as well as the Lark, which seems no surprise since the front end sheet metal of the Champ is the same as the 59-60 Lark. I measured the distance of the fan from the radiator. It is 2-1/4 inches at its closest point, the bottom of the arc described by the moving fan blades.
                      ~Dale

Comment

A cheap fix could be a spacer for the fan to bring it closer to the radiator. My Champ & 60 Lark both run at 3/4 on the temp guage. Checking the accuracy of the guage would be the first step.

60 Lark convertible
                        61 Champ
                        62 Daytona convertible
                        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2)
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                        X