Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Option TT - All wheel drive - Hawks

Hi,

I am new to this forum and am excited to bring home a 1963 GT Hawk next week! I saw a 1961 Hawk on ebay that said it had a TT Option, all wheel drive. Is that true? I am learning new things about Studebakers everyday but had never heard before that they made them all wheel drive.

Thanks,
    Terri Smith

Hi Terri, good to have you here!

There's no such thing as "all-wheel-drive" in a Studebaker passenger car. (Some 4x4 trucks were built, but are few and far between.)

The "TT" stands for "Twin Traction", which is what Studebaker called their locking rear axle option. It works like GM Posi-Traction, in that if one rear driving wheel slips in snow or mud, the differential delivers all power to the other, non-slipping wheel instead.

There's a lot of misinformation on eBay, but we're glad to help and glad to have you here!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Terri. If you have not already done so, you should join the SDC - best way to get the most enjoyment out of your Studebaker ownership IMHO. [8D] Discount for first timers as well. [^]

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/aboutsdc.asp

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
      May 23 & 24, 2009?
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

What Clark said, Terri. We had discussed that listing error here on The Forum. Welcome aboard! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I exchanged several e-mails with the eBay lister of that car. It was hard to determine just what he had and it was difficult to convince him of some items. He didn't add any of the information to his listing or make any corrections. The listing has now ended without a sale. I wonder if he will relist it with or without corrections.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I exchanged several e-mails with the eBay lister of that car. It was hard to determine just what he had and it was difficult to convince him of some items. He didn't add any of the information to his listing or make any corrections. The listing has now ended without a sale. I wonder if he will relist it with or without corrections.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
            X