50 Champ Grille paint or chrome or ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Champ Grille paint or chrome or ??

Both of the 50's that I have had, had the grilles painted to match the car. The one I have now has what looks like chrome under the paint. Did some models come out unpainted? I am considering leaving mine chrome when the car is painted.

Jimmie

1950 2 timer
    Orleans, Indiana
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

At the start of production the grills were chromed, but it wasn't always a good thorough job because only the front edges of the grill mesh showed the chrome. The inside of the 'egg crates' were painted body color. At serial number G-581464 they stopped chroming and painted the entire grill aluminum.

Dwain G.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

At the start of production the grills were chromed, but it wasn't always a good thorough job because only the front edges of the grill mesh showed the chrome. The inside of the 'egg crates' were painted body color. At serial number G-581464 they stopped chroming and painted the entire grill aluminum.

Dwain G.

Comment

Thank you for the detailed response, this is what I like about this Forum!!

Jimmie

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Dwain G.
        1950 2 timer
        Orleans, Indiana
        sigpicJimmie
        Orange County, Indiana

Comment

Thank you for the detailed response, this is what I like about this Forum!!

Jimmie

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Dwain G.
          1950 2 timer
          Orleans, Indiana
          sigpicJimmie
          Orange County, Indiana

Comment

Would trim level make a difference Dwain? My s/n is 524450, well before the number you mention and my grills are painted. It is a W3.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Would trim level make a difference Dwain? My s/n is 524450, well before the number you mention and my grills are painted. It is a W3.
              Painted body color, or painted aluminum? If body color, that would be as the parts book says. If aluminum, they may have been painted over or they are later replacements.

Dwain G.

Comment

Painted body color. And original. So now I guess I get it. "what the parts book says." duh.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Working...
                X