Fit of '53-54 grill surrounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fit of '53-54 grill surrounds

I seem to remember the grill surrounds on my '54 hardtop did not fit perfectly even after a lot of messin' with them...AND, I've gotten even more anal retentive in my old age . I'm trying to fit them on the Ute.

There is a vertical "shoulder" on the fender that the surround fits to...

It would be great if the grill surround followed the line of this "shoulder" on into the hood, but it doesn't...

This is the surround just sitting in the opening. I can make it fit a little better and even weld up the hole if it ends up to be too big...the problem is with the hood matched nicely to the fender and the grill surround following the panel under the hood, it is impossible for the surround to follow that body line where the fender goes vertical.

I've dug out some old pictures of S2D and it looks pretty much the same.

I'm wondering if ALL 53-CK's look like this or if there is a way to line up the grill opening with the body line on the fender.

If any body can provide any close ups of their '53-54 CK, I'd appreciate it.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

I've never been happy with the fit of the grills on my '53 either.

You can see that "shoulder" you are talking about on my car as well. Also, the depressions in the lower sheetmetal filler panel where the screws to mount them go. I messed with them some when I assembled the car but finally decided that only some metal work would fix it. Everything was painted already so I didn't want to redo it. At least it looks like your hood fits without a gap. I cannot see on my car how to get rid of that. As it is, I had to add washers to the brace that goes from the bottom of the filler panel to the lower air scoop in the middle since that connection tends to pull the center of the grill assembly down and make that hood gap worse. I see a lot of cars at shows with the same problem so I am not alone! Some look much better but I don't know what is different unless the metal is different [?]

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I dont have my car here to get a pic but the factory original fit is certainly no better than either of the pics here.Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Sorry I can't get a picture on, but I looked at my 53 coupe and compared it to the 53 sedan I have and the coupe fits better that the picture of yours, but not nearly as good as the sedan. Funny thing the seadan is a early 53 and the coupe is late.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Sorry I can't get a picture on, but I looked at my 53 coupe and compared it to the 53 sedan I have and the coupe fits better that the picture of yours, but not nearly as good as the sedan. Funny thing the seadan is a early 53 and the coupe is late.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Maybe by '54 things got better? Here's a rotted C-body that my granddad has.

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Maybe by '54 things got better? Here's a rotted C-body that my granddad has.

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

General Motors bought a new 53 Studebaker Champion sedan and took it all apart and photographed most of the parts of it. I have about 50 Photos that they took. This is the front end of the sedan. The grille shell looks like a perfect fit.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

General Motors bought a new 53 Studebaker Champion sedan and took it all apart and photographed most of the parts of it. I have about 50 Photos that they took. This is the front end of the sedan. The grille shell looks like a perfect fit.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Thanks for the pics and info everyone.

Matthew's picture shows it how I feel it SHOULD look (and most likely CAN look)

I need to try harder .

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Matthew's picture shows it how I feel it SHOULD look (and most likely CAN look)
                      The rustiest car on the whole place, is the one with the best panel fit.

Go figure.

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Matthew's picture shows it how I feel it SHOULD look (and most likely CAN look)
                        The rustiest car on the whole place, is the one with the best panel fit.

Go figure.

Matthew Burnette
                        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Went out and looked at the Raunch Coop - same fit[V] ISTR tho - my Commander has/had a better fit than that.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Leonard observes: "This is the front end of the sedan. The grille shell looks like a perfect fit."

AHA! That's why those sedan grilles are taller - too make up for the shortage![:0][B)][V]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Much has been written about the unhappy fit and finish of the first generation C/K models. My '53 has the obvious lip. I accept it as the way it was. No one will notice it at illegal speeds.

Brad Johnson
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X