Picture of Hurst shifter for T85 OD transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picture of Hurst shifter for T85 OD transmission

Here are a couple of quick pics of the Hurst shifter on a T85 OD transmission. Even this bracket will need a bit of modification--the shifter came off of a big early 60's Ford and the OD lever on the Stude overdrive just BARELY clears the bracket--with a bolt and cable installed it WILL hit the bracket. Should be no big deal to alter the bracket by either moving the shifter up about 3/4" inch. This will take a bit of cutting and welding. OR I might be able to just bend the bracket about 1/8" for clearance. Either way, it's an easy mod. Of course, the THIRD alternative would be to just forget the OD cable and leave the OD "engaged" at all times.

And don't freak out about the wingnuts on the shifter levers--they are only there for a quick fit and pic!!!

Looks great Allan! []

Looks like the speedo cable MAY have to be installed before the shifter! [:0]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Looks great Allan! []

Looks like the speedo cable MAY have to be installed before the shifter! [:0]

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      Looks like it will go! Of course, I don't have one here to try!

I don't think there would be any way to install this shifter with the transmission in the car!!

Do you have a speedo drive for a 4.27 rear end for a T85? I think some of the trucks with the T85 had that ratio. Don't have a parts book on hand, but you probably know the number off the top of your head!

Comment

I *so* have transmission envy right now. You sure you don't want to sell that setup? (I literally have all the parts laying around here to just bolt it into my car, save for cutting the remains of the driveshaft support crossmember out of the way... even got a driveshaft from a '57 Golden Hawk in the garage...)

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The DRIVE Gear is a 520083 at SASCO for $29.70, but you MAY mean the driven gear, the PINION gear, it is 520088 for 4 Ply. 6.70X15 (P205X75R15)Tires, with a little larger tires maybe you could use the 520087 pinion for 6.00 & 6.50X16 4 & 6 Ply.

However they are both N/S here AND at SASCO!

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The DRIVE Gear is a 520083 at SASCO for $29.70, but you MAY mean the driven gear, the PINION gear, it is 520088 for 4 Ply. 6.70X15 (P205X75R15)Tires, with a little larger tires maybe you could use the 520087 pinion for 6.00 & 6.50X16 4 & 6 Ply.

However they are both N/S here AND at SASCO!

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            Who needs a speedometer that's accurate anyway!?!

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer

You've never lived in VA, land of 55 MPH speed limits have you?

On the upside, if the OD doesn't work, you probably won't need it...

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by N8N

quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                SASCO has the pinion gear for the 3.73 rear end. And I have NO IDEA which drive gear is in the transmission. How can you tell? Count teeth?

If I can get it set up for the 3.73 I can calculate how far off the speedo is and go from there . . .

Comment

I like the Hurst set up, Allen []

Here's the top shifter conversion that Gord Richmond did for the ute (T86 OD)...

The lever ended up a little too close to the dash for me, but I'll put a few bends in it before it goes to the chromer.

Tanks. Gord!!

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yikes, you've gotta be kidding Nate! The U.S. wide 55 MPH ruling was over turned a long time ago for most of us, I guess that means there is some NEW law in VA, and that you need to hunt down a/some stupid politicians with their head in the sand!
                    That just causes more traffic jams behind the "putters" and causes more accidents trying to get around!

quote:Originally posted by N8N

nate
                    StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think it has to do with the definition of "urban" areas, which is pretty much all of Northern Virginia (when in caps, that refers to just about everything within a 70 mile radius of DC, if not more.) As anyone who's driven on the Dulles Toll Road can tell you, the speed limit is not strictly followed by, um, anyone, although the local constabulary does try to enforce it on a semi-regular basis.

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Yikes, you've gotta be kidding Nate!
                        Pretty much the same here, Rich...except it is 60 and not 55...all the urban areas. From Arlington to Olympia on I5...all of 405, etc. Not that everybody follows it, but I've seen A LOT of speeding tickets given out in 60 MPH zones in Washington.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

When I lived in Virginia I saw more cars pulled over for speeding than anywhere else I have lived. Those guys were serious about the speed limit. If someone passed you going very much faster you usually saw him on the side of the road with a trooper within a few miles. Of course, this was about 25 years ago.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
                          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

When I lived in Virginia I saw more cars pulled over for speeding than anywhere else I have lived. Those guys were serious about the speed limit. If someone passed you going very much faster you usually saw him on the side of the road with a trooper within a few miles. Of course, this was about 25 years ago.

I don't plan on ripping down the freeway at 85 mph--this will be more of a "brutally fast crosswalk to crosswalk" sort of a hot rod--especially with that T85 truck first gear and the 4.27 rear end!

Comment

Sounds perfect for cruising around the Sonic drive-in.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                              Searcy, Arkansas
                              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X