Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of Wagonaires...

I'm working on this one right now.

It's a '64 Daytona Wagonaire, originally a U.S. car, lo these many years ago. I have had it for 15 years or more, and it moved me and my belongings from Calgary to my present home in Trochu. And I did move a fridge (and a welding outfit) standing upright with the roof slid open. It has been sitting unused for 8 years or more, now. I moved it a couple of weeks ago to facilitate work on the house, and decided it might be time to pay a little attention to it. The carpeting was all full of mouse droppings, so I dragged the carpets out, and burned them in the burning barrel. I washed the floor out Saturday with the pressure washer, and left it all day Sunday to dry. Two rain showers didn't help that very much. Late this afternoon, after doing a nasty little job on my Suburban, I got into the floor repair, picking up where I'd left off, some 10 years ago. On the passenger side, I had already renewed a 4" wide strip of metal all along the door sill area, from pillar to pillar, and had made a start on the bolt pocket at the base of the "A" pillar. There was a big, roughly triangular hole bounded on the front by the diagonal strut running from the batwing crossmember to the chassis bolt forward of the front seat, on the outer side by the aforementioned strip of new metal, and on the rear by the sub-floor reinforcement plate for the forward seat mounting bolt. The rear side of this hole had a number of doglegs in it.

I laid piece of fairly thick sheet steel over the hole, and from below, I traced the outline of the hole with a Sharpie marker. Then I flipped it over, and traced about a quarter-inch overlap allowance. I then cut along that line with air and hand shears to make my patch panel. Since it was a large hole, and since I was putting down basically flat steel, I decided a stiffening rib was in order, so I cut a piece of hat channel stock (I have a supply I had made at a sheet metal shop.) to run from near the inboard end of the diagonal floor strut to just beyond the rear outer corner of the hole. I welded this in place, with its flanges flush with the top of metal surrounding the hole. I then laid the patch in place, and traced the outline of the hat channel on its underside, and took it to the drill press, and drilled two rows of holes for plug welds to attach it to the hat channel.

Setting the patch panel in place, I first welded it to the middle of the hat channel, and then started welding around the perimeter. Where I had to hammer it down, to fit irregularities in the floor, I put a hydraulic bottle jack under the floor area undergoing work, to provide an anvil to hammer upon.

This patch panel is now fully welded in from the top. I can stand on it, and it doesn't give or oilcan; feels rock-solid. I'll put a few welds on the underside, but overhead welding is no fun, so there won't be many.

I plan to carry on in the same fashion, doing the remainder of the passenger side floor, and the front floor on the driver's side. That will be a little more work, as the base of the "A" pillar there is very bad. But it's not flopping loose, and the door still closes fine, so all I have to do is form replacement sections for the pillar and weld them in place.

The brakes are down on the car, so once the floor is dealt with, I'll do what I have to do to make them work; bleeding at the very least, I guess.

This Wagonaire has a 259 with WCFB carburetor, and a Flightomatic. Tranny works fine. The engine runs smoothly, but it's tired. Oil pressure is low, and it burns oil, using quite a lot a highway speeds. It seems to be pumping a lot of oil past the rocker arms, and filling the valve covers, then, burning it past the guides. I'm sure it could use a set of rings and rod bearings, if not a full rebuild. It's a full-flow engine, BTW, and it has Silvertone dual stainless exhausts, with a pair of glass-pack mufflers. Sounds real fine, too.

The front doors are pretty rotten in
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Is that a Daytona? Bob Palma is looking for a white 64 Daytona Wagonaire.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Gord, I love your narratives. Thanks for sharing this story. I'd love a Wag someday...

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

For some reason, white with red interior is my favorite Wagonaire color combo[8D]

Hey Gord, here's an idea: Bring it down to me on the way to Lancaster... I've got a guest room here with your name on it!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Gord,

Follow the progress of my 63 to 65 Daytona Wagonaire conversion:

Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          '60 Lark HT
          '63 Wagonaire
          Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          \'60 Lark HT
          \'63 Wagonaire
          \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Leonard Shepherd
            [:0] It [u]is</u> a Daytona, Leonard, but I appreciate Gordon's honest description so much I think I'd rather spend more money and get a nicer one to begin with.

Hopefully, one as nice as your convertible (seriously). Not perfect, but just a little worn with no previous rust issues. You have given me confidence that such cars might exist east of Arizona!

Thanks for keeping me in mind. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'd love the roof rack off that[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

FYI; Leonard & interested other Wagonaire watchers, when you see the wide aluminum body side moulding with the wide center black stripe on '64's and Cruiser type two recessed narrow Black stripes on '65, as opposed to a narrow Stainless on Commanders, and none on '64 Challengers you know you have a Daytona also with the best interior.

On the Daytona, you also get those side window surround mouldings you see here, and the big aluminum plate on the tailgate with the chrome lettering all the way across.

All of the side trim also matches that on the Daytona 4Dr. sedan.

quote:Originally posted by lstude

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Bob; I don't remember now for sure now but I THOUGHT that the "perfect one" from the 2001 Donald, WA McDonald Apple Orchard
                  Estate sale auction by Silver Auctions, DID go East of the Rockies! [^] []

This car OF COURSE is the required Astra White, and a Daytona, but otherwise REALLY SPECIAL! It has 289 Engine, Power Disc.
                  Brakes, P/S, Air Cond., R&H, tinted windshield, Maroon all Vinyl Interior, Bucket Seats, 4 speed Trans., power tailgate window, 3rd.
                  seat, tailgate step ladder, wheelcovers, front bumper guards, roof rack. In other words, more than "loaded"!

The only thing I am not 100% sure of is the 4 speed, it could have been a Powershift.

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

/cut/I think I'd rather spend more money and get a nicer one to begin with./cut/
                  You have given me confidence that such cars might exist east of Arizona!
                  StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Gord, does Curtis Lagasse still have the molds for making the rear quarter panels for the Wagonaire? If so, he may have a business opportunity with other Wagonaire owners. I just made a steel set of the lower halves aft of the wheel opening for my '63 Wagonaire project. It wasn't easy and fiberglass parts would be just fine. It's the inner fender sheet metal that is a real problem to fabricate and that's where there is usually lots of rot.

I'll pay close attention to your suggestions, especially as my '63 does have one door post flapping when both the front and rear doors are open. Maybe I should just convert it into a gull-wing with a hinge at the top of the post!

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                    Dartmouth, Mass.
                    '48 M5
                    '65 Wagonaire Commander
                    '63 Wagonaire Standard
                    web site at http://www.studegarage.com
                    Gary Ash
                    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                    '48 M5
                    '65 Wagonaire Commander
                    '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

" It is a Daytona, Leonard, but I appreciate Gordon's honest description so much I think I'd rather spend more money and get a nicer one to begin with."

C'mon, Bob, the price could be very right, and once the floors are done, it could be one of the solidest Wagonaires you could find. Original color was indeed White.

Gary, Curtis lost his molds in a garage fire, but AFAIK, he has all the NOS panels he used as the plugs. He made better Hawk and Lark fenders than Newman and Altman sold, back in the day. I'll chat with him one day, and find out the status of his stuff.

Comment

Too bad about Curtis losing the molds. I hope he could make some new ones. Here's a photo of where I put in new metal for the rear quarters on the '63 Wagonaire. I hand formed them with some sheet metal seaming pliers, dolly and hammer, and a big steel post for the main curve. I used a hand-held air flanging tool from Harbor Freight for the joint. My '65 Wagonaire was rusted in about the same places, but I found complete original panels 10 years ago for only $200 a side. If you can find them, I think they are now over $1000 a pair and it's a major job to install them. The critical part is everything below the crease from about 1/2 way back on the wheel opening. Ideally, the fiberglass part should wrap around the back. Does this idea fit with other Wagonaire owners' experience? I would have gladly paid $100 per side for fiberglass pieces and I suspect that after having done it I would have paid more, LOL.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                        Dartmouth, Mass.
                        '48 M5
                        '65 Wagonaire Commander
                        '63 Wagonaire Standard
                        Gary Ash
                        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                        '48 M5
                        '65 Wagonaire Commander
                        '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

I just think wagons are so cool. When I was growing up we had several one a 60 ford and a 59 pontiac bonne ville wagon and a 63 chev wagon midnight blue with a 4 speed on the floor what a cool car i always wanted that but had to settle for a 55 chev i drove in high school along with my model a pickiup seemed which ever had gas in it and would start you were good to go. that was before you needed car insurance and plates had wing nuts for transfer purposes..good ole days..love those daytona wagons with retro wheels.

62 GT Hawk
                          84 vette
                          31 Ford Pickup
                          2005 Maxima
                          2006 CTSV
                          Gravely 17hp Pro
                          Gravely Walker 10HP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Bob; I don't remember now for sure now but I THOUGHT that the "perfect one" from the 2001 Donald, WA McDonald Apple Orchard
                            Estate sale auction by Silver Auctions, DID go East of the Rockies! [^] []

This car OF COURSE is the required Astra White, and a Daytona, but otherwise REALLY SPECIAL! It has 289 Engine, Power Disc.
                            Brakes, P/S, Air Cond., R&H, tinted windshield, Maroon all Vinyl Interior, Bucket Seats, 4 speed Trans., power tailgate window, 3rd.
                            seat, tailgate step ladder, wheelcovers, front bumper guards, roof rack. In other words, more than "loaded"!

The only thing I am not 100% sure of is the 4 speed, it could have been a Powershift.

/cut/I think I'd rather spend more money and get a nicer one to begin with./cut/
                            You have given me confidence that such cars might exist east of Arizona!
                            [] Do you have any idea where that wagon went, Rich? I'd really like to find out. Really.

I don't care one way or another about engine/trans combo. All 1964 domestic Daytona Wagonaires are gonna have at least a 180HP 259. Even 180 HP in front of a Flightomatic is just fine by me....you know, "She's Real Fine, my Two-Fifty-Nine...." and all that. Thanks. [8D]BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yeah Bob, my drool is probably STILL on the hood! Lol!

When I return from Dave's retirement in San Diego next week, I'll try to remember to contact Mr. McDonald and find out if he has a record of who got it and where! Then we can "duke it out" over it! [B)]

Oh; by the way, as if that was not enough, did I mention, I think it also had a TT and an AFB Four barrel! []

I don't care one way or another about engine/trans combo. All 1964 domestic Daytona Wagonaires are gonna have at least a 180HP 259. Even 180 HP in front of a Flightomatic is just fine by me....you know, [red][i][b]"She's Real Fine, my Two-Fifty-Nine...."and all that. Thanks.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X