5 Spd. DD for OD swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Spd. DD for OD swap?

Has anyone ever swapped out a 5 spd DD transmission in a large Stude Truck (E40 Model) for a 5 spd OD? Are the external parts compatible or are new transmission mounts, bellhousing, clutch assembly, driveshaft, etc. req'd?

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Mark, I had them both right here side by side on the floor before we installed the O.D. in my formerly 4 Speed '62 Transtar 1 Ton Dually!

Yes, this would be the easiest "bolt-in" you ever saw, big Truck to big Truck!

Here is a few things we DID learn however!
    (1) You cannot directly cross a Champ or other 1/2 or 3/4 Ton unit to a big truck because you will have no E brake! The Band Brake also affects Driveline length.

(2) I thought; great, we'll just toss the guts of the Champ O.D. into the DD (Direct) case because it is from an E40 and has the E-Brake! -Wrong! It's a good thing I am a "Parts Book" guy, not a "just do it" guy, that would have been a LOT of work!

What is going on here is that there are FOUR (4) Stude. New Process cases, one for no E-Brake O.D., with E-Brake O.D., no E-Brake DD, with E-Brake DD! A good machinist however, could drill & tap the E-Brake mounting bracket holes in the bosses, I THINK!

(3) The Bellhousing IS the same DD to O.D., and the pattern is the same as 4 Speed and looks the same, BUT the whole housing is thicker than 4 Speed and possibly could effect the input shaft length.

Probably, and hopefully none of this will affect what you or someone else is thinking of doing, but here it is just in case! [^]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Excellent! Thanks for the advice Rich. [8D]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Actually the VERY best possible setup if you've got the bucks, is the New Process 5 Speed Direct (DD) with the Gear Vendors Overdrive behind it! [^]

Just think about it, you have the perfect selection of gears for heavy loads and or a really heavy Truck, with hill climbing and descending ability, AND the cruising ability of the O.D. and OH, by the way you've got 10 forward speeds if you want to "split" the gears! The G/V is even available with an electric quick shifter unit, and can handle a 1200 H.P. Dragster or a 400 H.P. RV!

Any day of the week, I would put this setup in a Truck, up against ANYTHING GM had or will come up with in an Automatic O.D. for strength and durability! This is truly MAGNUM Bullet Proof!! [^]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Never heard of the "Gear Vendors Overdrive"... tell me more (please). [8D]

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Here ya go Mark. While I know nothing about their products first hand, I've heard nothing but good about them.

RACING AND TOWING PERFORMANCEOVERDRIVE ECONOMY The Absolute Highest Horsepower Handling Overdrive you can buy! Gear-Splitting Performance and Overdrive Economy. For RV’s, Trucks, Muscle Cars, Hot Rods, and Racing. The Finest Quality Auxiliary Transmissions. The Ultimate in Horsepower Handling and Performance. GEAR VENDORS provides overdrive product to racing cars and trucks up to 2000hp and trucks … Continue reading Home →

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

That's the one! Thanks Matt! $2800.00 and $55.00 shipping to the U.S. but worth every penny, no more cooked 3rd. gear clutches or failed electronics like in a POS 60E THM (700R4) Overdrive! [xx(]

I could see this thing running AmsOil Synthetic ATF still working fine for our Great Grandkids 100 years from now, but of course they will have to run the car on Propane, because I don't think there will be any GAS!

For our cars with the "not common" Trans. like a Truck or a Flight-O-Matic you would use the "in Line" unit with the yokes at each end.

If installing it on a common Trans. like a car T-10 Stude. 4 Speed, they have the "bolt on the back" type.

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sounds fantastic, except for the price!!

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
                </h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

Agree completely with Rich on the gears for Studebaker big trucks. In fact, I agree so much so, I bought a used Gear Vendors unit. However, after buying that and building a '64 GT 225 hp engine, I decided instead to put a Packard V8 in my '55 E12.

If you're interested in the Gear Vendors unit, I'm considering selling it. Let's discuss it off-forum - PackardV8@comcast.net. BTW, the Gear Vendors will also work just fine with your 5-spd DD and the top gear is quieter in a DD than the OD.

thnx, jack vines.

PackardV8
                  PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

If you're interested in the Gear Vendors unit, I'm considering selling it. Let's discuss it off-forum - PackardV8@comcast.net. BTW, the Gear Vendors will also work just fine with your 5-spd DD and the top gear is quieter in a DD than the OD.

thnx, jack vines.

PackardV8
                    E-mail sent.

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar Deluxe
                    Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                    X