55 Stuedbaker disk brake upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 Stuedbaker disk brake upgrade

Has anyone out there done one without braking the bank?
    I have a 55 President coupe and am doing what I can do to make it better. Any suggestions?

JC

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

quote:Originally posted by glassfrog

Has anyone out there done one without braking the bank?
    I have a 55 President coupe and am doing what I can do to make it better. Any suggestions?
    http://www.turnerbrake.com/

DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA
    I put 1984 Corvette fronts and 1989 Corvette rears on my '56. The parts weren't crazy expensive. I got the mounting brackets from Nimesh (he did this conversion on his Hawk and Avanti) as well as the rotors drilled for the Stude wheels. All in parts wise it was about $1200 or so.

That said, you're going to have to do some machining on the front hubs and the rear axle flanges--in order to get the Vette discs to sit flat against the hub surfaces you have to turn about 3/32" off of the diameter. The machine shop charged me about 80 bucks to do this. Of course, you have to remove your axles/hubs and take them down to the machine shop.

I like this set-up better because it is very LIGHT when compared with the Turner kit--aluminum calipers, drilled and vented rotors. The Turner kit is well engineered and pretty much bolt-on, but it weighs A TON.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer
      I like this set-up better because it is very LIGHT
      (Unsprung) weight is the enemy!

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Agree with Allan.

The Turner kit will reliably stop a MAC truck. The bad thing...it puts a LOT of weight where is does a fair amount of harm...on the end of the spindle. If you actually drive your car, not a good place for added weight. If it's just a cruiser...you'll be fine. If you like to hot rod around a bit...follow Allans idea.
        I also built my own setup. My own brackets, Wilwood calipers, Avanti rotors. Can't get much lighter and still have great brakes.
        Mine can be seen here...click on "54 Conestoga"...double click to enlarge.

SBCA (Tom) has a nice conversion...but I believe you have to run 16" or up diameter wheels.

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X