Tootin' my own horn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tootin' my own horn!

Well, I got the August TW today. In it is the feature article I did on horn buttons. I've been procrastinating about this project for what - Art - 3 years, 4 years??? I hope it's well received. Art & Ann deserve kudos for making what they have out of what I worked up.[^]

Of course, I saw what the article was gonna look like before it even went to print, but it's impact isn't full until you hold it in your hands. I'd like to think that it might inspire others to do such documentation regarding other facets of our Studes. Survivor examples aren't getting any more numerous, nor are we who lived when these cars were new and could offer some kind of testimony as to what they were EXACTLY like when they rolled off the assembly lines.
    The fact that there aren't such volumes to draw upon today is one reason we see so many cars/trucks OVER-restored. Without exacting standards to judge to, it becomes more of a beauty contest than a target of honest originallity. Of course, I suppose this sounds hollow coming from someone who's never endeavored to create a judge-worthy museum piece.
    Having done this little bit, and seeing as how I have a solid collection of postwar hub caps and wheelcovers, I'll probably have to do a piece on them too. We just need to have the editors pop a deadline on me to build a fire under my posterior![:0]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Now we should get you some of those twirly round watch display cases from the department store (remember those?[:0]) so you can put 'em all on display!
    (Always thinking....about what you never know)
    Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sounds like an interesting article.
      People seeing any of my old cars for the first time often commented on the horn buttons.
      Can't wait to read it!

Andy
      62 GT
      Andy
      62 GT

Comment

Heh - Jeff, we (the wife and I) talk about getting new tables for the living room from time to time. She's noticed that I have a distinct preferance for one's with glass tops.[}]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Can't wait for the issue to arrive, Bob. That collection of yours is quite impressive!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
          '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm looking forward to the article. Thanks for submitting it, Biggs.

I remember camping out in your living room one trip and sleeping under one of those coffee tables loaded with beautiful horn buttons...like jewelry []. I slept well.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Ta Da! drum roll! I am looking at the beautiful TW August issue! No Art Unger did not personally hand it to me! It actually came in today's (First Class) Mail! [^] Very nice! [^]

Amazing job Bob, you are to be congratulated on a fine job!

I really was not expecting anything quite as spectacular as this!
              I guess when I was passing by your place and stopped to pick up the '56 Fenders, your wife did not give me the "A ticket" tour of the complete collection! [:0] [^] []

This is MORE than impressive! Very nice Buttons, Emblems and Pushes!

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The pictures look pretty good~ especially a certain one on page 33~

You know the one!!!!

I plan to read the article in the coming days as time allows...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                San Diego, Ca.
                San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
                '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
                '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

As usual, you folks have whetted my appetite for the next TW issue... [^]
                  It'll be along in another week or so.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar Deluxe
                  Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                  May 23 & 24, 2009?
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

'Sounds good, Bob; I'm looking forward to seeing it, too. I'm sure the article states this, but exactly how many different horn buttons do you have?

I hear you on original, unrestored vehicles. Fortunately, they are coming into their own; more people will take the time to examine a nice, unrestored car as will folks looking over one that is 'way better than it ever left the factory.

'Kind of funny, if you stop to think of it: There's an almost infinite supply of cars needing to be restored, but a finite supply of those "original enough" to be cleaned and displayed more or less "as is."

Not to highjack your thread, but I think you'd find the following of interest, knowing some of the large classics on which you worked in an earlier life, and speaking to your point:

Here in little ole' Brownsburg IN is a fairly original, almost operational, 1931 Studebaker President Hearse that the owner of 30 years or so wants to sell. He is asking $25,000 for it, but would really like to hear a legitimate offer. He advertised it in our Antique Studebaker Review and got two calls, only one of whom showed up to see it.

While the vehicle could be restored, it is actually nice enough "as is" that the preferred course of action, IMHO, would be to clean it up as thoroughly as possible, get it running and driving, and display it as is.

It's spent its whole life indoors and shows little deterioration other than general dirt and grime. (I looked it over on location two weeks ago, with the owner's permission.) I would think a good couple days with wrenches and solvents and small parts would have it running and driving down the road.

One thing is for sure: Such a vehicle, thoroughly cleaned and operational, would be a magnet at any car show, Studebaker or otherwise. I hope it gets to enjoy such a fate; while the owner is in relatively good health, he is old enough that he'll likely never do much more with it than store it as it is now, in a secure barn. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hey Mr. "Horn Button" Biggs; I really like the very pretty maroon Porcelain with chrome Stude. lettering and aluminum looking center disc. that would be the upper right hand one on the back cover.

Any application info or history on it? Very early car, out of the scope of the article & the collection? Prototype maybe? I don't see it mentioned, but it IS awesome! [^]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Nice job, Bob. Very well done -- and I learned a lot, too.

Skip Lackie
                        Washington DC
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Yes Rich. It's one of my favorites too! It's hard to discern in that frontal shot of it, but the center part is concave - a shallow cone shape. This was a styling point that Loewy favored - like the concave centers in the 53-55 wheelcovers and button #1 in the article.

Anyway, the one you've asked about - that's for 1942 only - solid-spoked steering wheels on the early '42 Champions. It's Part# 515197X1

Starting with Champion serial number 187971, this button was dropped from use as part of the move to commit important metals (like the chrome on this button). An Oxblood and White button was used on the remaining 42 to be built.[^]

BTW - that red & black President button in the lower left corner is the one I talked you out of at the Sacto meet in '03.[:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President two door

Comment

Thanks Bob, I was curious about that 1942 one as I have never seen it on a car, and it is quite different and very sharp looking! [^]

I am glad that my former 1937 President horn button "Emblem" insert is in good hands, and being put to good use. It is an NOS one in very good condition, glad I could help.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Well, I got the August TW today. In it is the feature article I did on horn buttons.
                              Now tell us!! WHICH one did you use to 'toot your horn'[?][?][:0]

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X