Avanti values, finally getting respect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti values, finally getting respect

I can count on getting a phone call every few months from a guy seeking a nice, AC equipped Avanti. As I recall, I told him to buy a nice one that was finally bid to 14K a few years back. He them passed on a few in the high teens and just called again last week asking about another ebay car. This time he decided to "bite the bullet" and pay up to 20K on this one and I wished him luck. Looks like he'll keep looking :

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

I'm not an Avanti fan, but I've got to say that is one of the nicest I've seen. Great history and color combo too.

With that said, it's maybe $5-$10k short at this point of an R powered, AC GT Hawk in similar condition.

I'd say Avanti prices need to get higher than GT Hawk prices in order to be "respectful". This one could do it, however.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I agree, it is pretty much the ultimate Avanti. Very late production, the rare Avanti maroon with thick back buckets. It "should" be worth more then a GT, but at least the bidding is getting decent.

JDP/Maryland
      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
      Thomas Jefferson
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Man, that's a purdy one.[^]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

In a related note, I stumbled across this very nice '64 round-headlight Avanti for sale in Los Gatos last weekend, quite by accident:

I did not inspect the engine bay or hear it running. It is, as represented in the description, very straight and clean. The undercarriage is rust-free. It has Indiana plates. The only issue that caught my attention was the smell of gasoline near the front of a cold car. Aside from that, it appears a very nice #2 car, only in need of a fresh polish and wax.

Andy
          62 GT
          Andy
          62 GT

Comment

Will all the Stude boats rise with the tide?

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________Rabid Snail Racing
            Jim
            Often in error, never in doubt
            http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

What's the marks on the hood, anybody know?

Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I can count on getting a phone call every few months from a guy seeking a nice, AC equipped Avanti. As I recall, I told him to buy a nice one that was finally bid to 14K a few years back. He them passed on a few in the high teens and just called again last week asking about another ebay car. This time he decided to "bite the bullet" and pay up to 20K on this one and I wished him luck. Looks like he'll keep looking :

JDP/Maryland
              Thomas Jefferson
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment

In the last picture with the literature? Looks like the reflection of bare tree branches to me.

Jim

Jim
                Often in error, never in doubt
                http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jlmccuan

Will all the Stude boats rise with the tide?

Jim

I doubt that general Stude prices will move with the price of Avantis. Many people do not even know that an Avanti is a Studebaker !!

Comment

Is this one of Nelson Bove's cars? Sure is nice! [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

It's funny. Back as a teen in the 1970's when I developed the desire to become an Avanti owner, the Avanti's were the only postwar Studebakers that were worth anything. There was no way I could come up with the $4-5000 they were selling for back then.

Now, with all the parallels to the 1970's happening today, the Avanti is again appreciating. I felt good about what I paid for mine 1n 1998. It seems it takes unusual times for this unusual car to gain attention.

Kevin Wolford
                      Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
                      60 Lark VI Conv.
                      63 Avanti R1

Comment

No, in picture number 10, counting from the top. Looks like it could possibly be only wax that wasn't wiped off yet, but the lower-right corner of that photo makes it appear that there is an area of the hood that could be darker than the rest, too. Or, could just be the photography.

Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH

Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

No, in picture number 10, counting from the top. Looks like it could possibly be only wax that wasn't wiped off yet...
                          Looks like the reflection of a cloud to me.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Now that I look again, could well be a cloud! If that's the case, what a fantastic paint job!!!

Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

No, in picture number 10, counting from the top. Looks like it could possibly be only wax that wasn't wiped off yet...
                            Looks like the reflection of a cloud to me.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

Wow! It's bid to $27,699 with over an hour to go. Must be a new record for a R-1. Really nice car and very well presented.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                              Museum R-4 engine
                              1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                              1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X