Studebaker Avanti AM/FM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Avanti AM/FM

I listed this 1964 Studebaker Avanti AM/FM on EBAY. I bought this a few years back and decided not to use it:

1957 Packard Clipper
    1958 Golden Hawk
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1963 R2 Daytona
    1963 R2 GT Hawk
    1963 R1 Wagonaire
    1963 R4 Avanti
    1964 Champ
    1966 Cruiser

At the current bid it certainly appears there is a higher profit margin in Studebaker AM/FM radios than there is in US real estate! [B)]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

There was an AM-FM Studebaker radio on Ebay this past year. I beleive it sold for over $1000.

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

The old adage applies: The market value is what a willing buyer is willing to pay a willing seller. It's goinf to be interesting to see where this ends up. Who knows might be a record for a radio.
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

A guy emailed me the following:

Q: What makes you think this is an Avanti radio? The Avanti radio has a sloped top cover at the back to clear the dash area. This radio was not from an Avanti and will not fit in an Avanti without modification.

The Studebaker hobby has more experts that know miss-information than any group I know of.

1957 Packard Clipper
          1958 Golden Hawk
          1963 Daytona Convertible
          1963 R2 Daytona
          1963 R2 GT Hawk
          1963 R1 Wagonaire
          1963 R4 Avanti
          1964 Champ
          1966 Cruiser

Comment

AC 3500 is a 64 Avanti radio, just show him a picture of the tag.

JDP/Maryland
            "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
            Thomas Jefferson
            JDP Maryland

Comment

There is a clear picture of the tag in the photos on the EBAY ad John.

1957 Packard Clipper
              1958 Golden Hawk
              1963 Daytona Convertible
              1963 R2 Daytona
              1963 R2 GT Hawk
              1963 R1 Wagonaire
              1963 R4 Avanti
              1964 Champ
              1966 Cruiser

Comment

Sold for $671!

Still don't get it... even a high-end resto would be better served with a clean AM in the dash and a hidden modern stereo........

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Here we go again!

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar Deluxe
                  Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                  May 23 & 24, 2009?
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

I'd love an authentic AM_FM for my Avanti, but since they weren't offered on 63s....I can't add one.

I want to keep it stock (within reason...like radials) otherwise I would have bought a newer, cheaper, Avanti II with a SBC...then I'd feel free to modiify the living daylights out of it.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll have my current radio serviced, and buy a boom box-type thing for my wife's ipod when we want music on a longer trip.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

JBoyle, Why not just install the AM FM for your own pleasure and keep the AM for shows or resale???

sals54
                      sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

JBoyle, Why not just install the AM FM for your own pleasure and keep the AM for shows or resale???

sals54
                        Suggesting switching an Avanti radio for shows must come from someone that has not done much work on an Avanti, or really has a lot of time and patience on their hands &lt;G&gt;.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

quote:Originally posted by sals54

sals54
                          Suggesting switching an Avanti radio for shows must come from someone that has not done much work on an Avanti, or really has a lot of time and patience on their hands &lt;G&gt;.
                          You beat me to it!
                          I only wish I was that handy...
                          for me putting in a new ignition bezel was challenging (and I'm not sure I did it correctly) .

63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

a boom box-type thing for my wife's ipod when we want music on a longer trip.
                            I've got one for my iPod. AC, DC, or batteries; works pretty well. I got it because I have several old cars that don't have FM.

The best way is to hide a cheap AM/FM stereo in the glovebox or under the seat; wire it into some decent speakers. You can buy a cord for the iPod that plugs into a lighter socket and plays wirelessly through the FM radio. Even better, most of the newer stereos have a jack for iPod cords. You can buy a really nice unit with all the bells and whistles for under $200.

My Daytona is going to have a very nice AM unit in the dash, with a good modern stereo in the console; the ash tray will open to reveal a dock for my iPod[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by bams50

"The best way is to hide a cheap AM/FM stereo in the glovebox or under the seat; wire it into some decent speakers. You can buy a cord for the iPod that plugs into a lighter socket and plays wirelessly through the FM radio. Even better, most of the newer stereos have a jack for iPod cords. You can buy a really nice unit with all the bells and whistles for under $200.

My Daytona is going to have a very nice AM unit in the dash, with a good modern stereo in the console; the ash tray will open to reveal a dock for my iPod[8D]"

I agree and the original AM works, as well.

[img][/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X