Cons of changing color from original

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cons of changing color from original

I have a 51 Land Cruiser that is almost completely original except for the paint. It was originally Cherokee Red but was repainted over 35 years ago in Black Cherry. The firewall is still Cherokee Red with the original 'chalk' marks still showing.

The paint is failing badly and I will need to strip it down to repaint. I would like to paint it again with the Black Cherry colour but I'm wondering if there is any value in returning it to the original Cherokee Red color? I don't mind the Cherokee Red but I really prefer the Black Cherry. I don't intend to restore it to Show quality but use it as a driver.

Thoughts?

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"
    Fozzie Bear in 'The Muppet Movie'

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

My suggestion is to just paint it the color you like.
    Unless you are going to 'correctly' restore it, and 'completely' restore it, you are not going to affect your resale value very much...just because of the color.
    I would much rather be happy with a color I liked, than suffer with a color I didn't like, but felt I 'had' to choose that color to satisfy someone else's desires.
    Black cherry sounds nice!
    Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Opinions others may share on your paint job are cheap, but its your hard earned money that will get spent on the paint and yuo are the one that will wax and admire it. Do what pleases you.
      Bill
      http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
      sigpic

Comment

As Jeff said.

If this was a Super Hawk, or GH, or other top-valued Stude, that would make a difference. But any 4-door (with the exception of Tommo's factory r2 Lark) won't be hurt much.

If you're just going to do external paint and not all the jambs, etc. even easier decision; because if you or someone else ever wanted to go back completely stock, it would be pretty easy to do. Bottom line is what Clarkwd said.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

I've seen black cherry on bulletnoses, and that's a great color on those rounded fenders.

Chris Pile
          Midway Chapter SDC
          The Studebaker Special
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Paint lasted 35 years before a redo.Quite a testament to the applicator and yourself for keeping it clean all these years.Throw on another coat of Black Cherry and enjoy your car.
            Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

I'm a firm believer in " Fix it like you want it" We nave 3 Studebakers that came Light blue, They are now Black(57 Hawk) Yellow (51 Starlight) and Orange (59 Scotsman) Do what makes you happy. NT

Neil Thornton
              Hazlehurst, GA
              '57 Silver Hawk
              '56 Sky Hawk
              '51 2R16 dump truck
              Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMann

I have a 51 Land Cruiser that is almost completely original except for the paint. It was originally Cherokee Red but was repainted over 35 years ago in Black Cherry. The firewall is still Cherokee Red with the original 'chalk' marks still showing.

Thoughts?
                Going by what you mentioned with the chalk markings on the firewall, I'd definitely go back to the Cherokee Red. All those marks are a piece of your car's history there. I know of a real nice '53 Champion Starlight that was originally Chadron Red. It had some interesting firewall markings, including one that read "SOLEX GLASS" scrawled nearly the width of the firewall, with the 'O' encircling the defroster. The previous owner chose to go with the Manchester Maroon, and lost all those cool factory marks on the firewall when he changed the color of it.[V]

Here is a '57 President Classic parts car that also had nearly the same firewall markings.

Craig

Comment

Not sure, but I think black cherry was a convertible only color.

JDP/Maryland
                  "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                  Thomas Jefferson
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:
                    Going by what you mentioned with the chalk markings on the firewall, I'd definitely go back to the Cherokee Red. All those marks are a piece of your car's history there.
                    Good point, Craig. I agree. But I was assuming he wasn't going to paint the firewall, only redoing what was already done.

Craig is right- those markings should be preserved, whatever color you choose.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

This is how she looked on EBay a year ago when I bought her. The paint is worse than it looks in the photo but I do like the colour. I previously owned a 51 Champion Starlite in Cherokee Red and I was not a fan of Land Cruisers until I saw this one in the Black Cherry. Somehow the colour and the extended wheelbase work for me.

The Black Cherry is getting thin from years of waxing and the Cherokee Red is starting to show through. The jambs were painted but the firewall was not. Maybe I'll paint it down to the joint across the firewall and keep the chalk mark. But for now, I need to go repair or replace my leaking fuel pump.

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"
                      Fozzie Bear in 'The Muppet Movie'

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                      Jim Mann
                      Victoria, B.C.
                      Canada
                      \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                      Jim Mann
                      Victoria, B.C.
                      Canada

Comment

I never thought I would like a green truck, but the color on mine is so "fifties", that I can't imagine changing it. And it will need repainting soon, as I have had to leave it outside in the elements, fading & oxidizing, ever since its single stage paint job by the previous owner 3 years ago.

I agree with the ones who say "paint it the color that makes you happy".

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
                        Paul Simpson
                        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                        The Red-Headed Amazon
                        Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
                        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                        The Red-Headed Amazon
                        Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Craig - That '57 President Classic appears to have a body tag streamer tag. What does that streamer read/say?

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Craig - That '57 President Classic appears to have a body tag streamer tag. What does that streamer read/say?

It is the body number. Its a Hamilton-built car, and the body number is on a different streamer.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

quote:Originally posted by studegary

It is the body number. Its a Hamilton-built car, and the body number is on a different streamer.

Craig
                              Thanks, Craig. I should have noticed the single line body tag. I guess that I am just not used to Canadian production idiosyncrasies.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X