2 Barrel Carter Carb???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Barrel Carter Carb???

I can screw both air adjustment screws all the way in and it still won't settle down. If you screw them all the way out it starts to die. I know it is getting air from some where but where? I put a bottom gasket on it but doesn't help. Any suggestions.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

You can use carb cleaner (or an unlit propane torch) to find any vacuum leaks. Spray around the usual suspects (throttle shaft, base of carb, manifold to head surfaces, fittings on manifold and carb, etc). The idle speed will increase when you find the leak. BE CAREFUL, however. Have a fire extinguisher handy.

On what year/model did Studebaker use a Carter 2 barrel carb?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

It's a 51 LC it was modified years ago. He said it was running good about 2 months ago but when he started it up this time it just set there and shook wouldn't settle down.

Comment

Double check to see if the choke is coming off also.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Dick's info is correct on the finding a vacuum leak. I use wd-40 withe the little straw. It will get right to the point, and is a little safer. Sometimes a leaking vacumm advance (spark advance) on the distributor can cause this. Check good around the manifold also.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Also, while you spray the WD40 at the different locations where you suspect a leak may be, also wiggle the throttle shafts as you spray to see if you get any change there. sometimes a flat spot can occur on the shafts or the holes. I sound like you may be ready for a rebuild kit tho.

sals54
            sals54

Comment

From you post it would imply your carb has reverse idle mixture screws. Some emission carbs had adjustable air bleed screw but you rarely see them. If you have the normal mixture screws it would seem you are getting too much fuel instead of an air leak.

Comment

Got it fixed. Took the carb into town. It is BBD from a 70 Plymouth. And found a kit. His adapter plate on the manifold was leaking underneath. Had to make a gasket. Runs good now. The old man is happy. You will have to realize that back in the 70nds you had to make do with what you could find to fit. I know when I was looking for parts to rebuild the OD on the 51 you couldn't find any parts. There are a whole lot more parts now than they were back then. At least now I can find about any part I need. THANKS FOR THE HELP
                100 egrees and working on Studebakers what a pity

Comment

Thanks for reporting back, Carl [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Glad to hear it was an easy fix. I hate chasing gremlins that don't like to play fair and hide just when you think you have them cornered.

sals54
                    sals54

Comment

Working...
                    X