Straight axle help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight axle help

I have a '49 2R-10 with a bent straight axle, from the tree that hit it. I also have a '47 M-5 chassis that I'm scrapping. My question is, will the straight axle from the M-5 bolt into the 2R-10? The way the 2R-10 is parked in the garage, with everything around it, I can't get under the front to see. I know I'm going from 3/4 ton to 1/2 ton, and from 6 lug wide pattern to 5 lug small pattern, but I don't plan on hauling tons of weight in it anymore, if I haul anything, so I don't mind the difference. I have an old set of '41 Champion hubcaps that I think I might put on it to cover that little discrepancy up if this works. As you can tell, I'm not exactly concerned about being completely correct on every bolt with this truck. So does anyone know if the axle will bolt in?

As you mention the bolt patterns are different. I have a 2R10 I am parting out if you want the axle from that. I am located in Virginia.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

As you mention the bolt patterns are different. I have a 2R10 I am parting out if you want the axle from that. I am located in Virginia.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I know the bolt pattern of the lugs is different, but I'm wondering if the axle will bolt in. I have no problem with two different patterns on this truck. I would take you up on that correct axle, but I'm up in PA and it's not really even worth the drive for me to come get it. My axle is bent behind the drivers wheel, has been for about ten years. I never really drove it that often, and the most problem I had was uneven tire wear. I could probably find one around here if I actually looked, it just never was that important to me to do so. I just figured that since I have this one, and I'm scrapping the M-5 frame anyway, I'd see if it would work.

Comment

I know the bolt pattern of the lugs is different, but I'm wondering if the axle will bolt in. I have no problem with two different patterns on this truck. I would take you up on that correct axle, but I'm up in PA and it's not really even worth the drive for me to come get it. My axle is bent behind the drivers wheel, has been for about ten years. I never really drove it that often, and the most problem I had was uneven tire wear. I could probably find one around here if I actually looked, it just never was that important to me to do so. I just figured that since I have this one, and I'm scrapping the M-5 frame anyway, I'd see if it would work.

Comment

yeah, actually the truck was parked against a hill for 10 years before I got it, that's when the tree fell on it.

Comment

yeah, actually the truck was parked against a hill for 10 years before I got it, that's when the tree fell on it.

Comment

So.... does anybody know? Let me clarify a bit here. I don't exactly have the spare funds available to go looking for a correct axle, buying it, and driving out to wherever to get it at $4 a gallon (but thanks for the offer, Guido!). And this truck isn't exactly a candidate for full restoration, so I'm not worried about the front and back wheels matching. The guy I got it from was a Studebaker dealer and LONG time SDC member, and it was so bad that he wouldn't SELL it to me, so he said just take it. I haven't even thought about changing the axle for a while, as the truck has been buried in the garage I rent for six years. I just figured that since I was scrapping this frame anyway, maybe I'd get lucky and this one might work. Like I said, I can't see under the truck to match it up the way it's buried, I just thought that someone here might know off hand. As long as it will bolt in, I'd be fine with just using the M-5 front wheels on it.

For now, I'll just leave the axle in the garage and scrap the rest of the frame. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will work.

Comment

So.... does anybody know? Let me clarify a bit here. I don't exactly have the spare funds available to go looking for a correct axle, buying it, and driving out to wherever to get it at $4 a gallon (but thanks for the offer, Guido!). And this truck isn't exactly a candidate for full restoration, so I'm not worried about the front and back wheels matching. The guy I got it from was a Studebaker dealer and LONG time SDC member, and it was so bad that he wouldn't SELL it to me, so he said just take it. I haven't even thought about changing the axle for a while, as the truck has been buried in the garage I rent for six years. I just figured that since I was scrapping this frame anyway, maybe I'd get lucky and this one might work. Like I said, I can't see under the truck to match it up the way it's buried, I just thought that someone here might know off hand. As long as it will bolt in, I'd be fine with just using the M-5 front wheels on it.

For now, I'll just leave the axle in the garage and scrap the rest of the frame. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will work.

Comment

I believe the track is the same on the M and C cabs pickups. I would take some measurements and check. If the spring perches are the same it should work.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
                    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I believe the track is the same on the M and C cabs pickups. I would take some measurements and check. If the spring perches are the same it should work.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
                      "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

That's what I was wondering, if the axle would bolt to the spring perches. Everything else is simple. The shocks and brake lines are easy to work around. I'm worried about where the axle actually bolts up to the springs. If I can get it on there, I'm set. I guess I'll have to dig the front of the truck out and get under there to see if they'll line up.

Comment

That's what I was wondering, if the axle would bolt to the spring perches. Everything else is simple. The shocks and brake lines are easy to work around. I'm worried about where the axle actually bolts up to the springs. If I can get it on there, I'm set. I guess I'll have to dig the front of the truck out and get under there to see if they'll line up.

Comment

I pulled a tape on a couple of body-less trucks today. It looks as though the spring mounts are about 2" farther apart on the "M". NT

Neil Thornton
                            Hazlehurst, GA
                            '57 Silver Hawk
                            '56 Sky Hawk
                            '51 2R16 dump truck
                            Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

You might try an alignment shop thats been around for years. It has been common practice on straight axles & on Ford twin i beams to heat & bend the axle to get proper alignment to spec's. Ford's for years had such a wide range for their spec's that it was common for an alignemnt shop to bend the axle to eliminate excessive tire wear. If you were out here I could recomend Johnsons Alignment in Torrance, Ca. but I'm sure you could find one in your area.

60 Lark convertible
                              61 Champ
                              62 Daytona convertible
                              63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2)
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                              64 Zip Van
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                              X