Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auto transmission coolant lines - order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto transmission coolant lines - order?

re: 58 PH:

I disconnected the transmission lines and had the rad rebuilt. Since it was out for two weeks, and the rubber lines were rotten and had to be replaced, I may have mixed up the order of the lines coming in from the transmission. I now have it tentatively installed.

Does it matter which transmission cooling line goes in and which one goes out?

Paul R

No.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

May I suggest bypassing the radiator to cool the transmission, and install a transmission cooler in front of the radiator.

This has worked very well for me. One caveat is I have a GH rather than a PH.

BG

Comment

Thank you Bob & Bill for your replies.

I was not sure. I would like to take the PH to the CrossRoads Zone Meet (tomorrow and Saturday July 19), and I am running out of time. Hopefully, I'll have time to wash and clean it a bit.

P.S. Bill: I like your green 56J - I also own a nice Mocha/Snowcap one - the one on the cover of TW in Apr 81? (but its still very nice). I may consider a separate cooler - there is lots of room in front of the rad, but the bumper does an excellent job of splitting the air above and below the scoop, i.e. not to the motor. Did you go with a small aftermarket cooler with twist ties? (P.S. Bob: I also like your truck!)

Paul

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55s

Did you go with a small aftermarket cooler with twist ties? (P.S. Bob: I also like your truck!)

Paul
          I think I did an "over kill" on the transmission cooler. I came across a service bulletin note that stated " some owners have reported that when the Ultramatic reaches operating temperature it does not shif properly". So, not knowing any better I bought one that was/is supposed to be used on a truck. So far after all these years I have had no issues. I have it secured by by the those plastic ties attached to the rod that goes in front of the radiator.

Comment

Working...
          X