Tie Down Hooks on 53 Commander Hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tie Down Hooks on 53 Commander Hardtop

My 53 has a 2 large loops or hooks attached to the bottom of the frame about at the firewall. The hooks are attached with big (3/4"?) bolts. One hook is damaged. They appear like something you would use to tie down when transporting on a trailer and I can't see any other use for them. Since I am currently in process of restoring the frame on the way to a restorod, would there be any reason not to remove the hooks? Should I fill the holes? Put the bolts back in?

Rob in ND
    Rob in ND
    \'53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

yes these are tie downs from the factory for transport. Most were removed somewhere along the life of the cars. I'm sure they were supposed to have been removed as a delivery prep.
    I've seen them on 1 53 coupe in my lifetime but thats it.

quote:Originally posted by 53hardtop

My 53 has a 2 large loops or hooks attached to the bottom of the frame about at the firewall. The hooks are attached with big (3/4"?) bolts. One hook is damaged. They appear like something you would use to tie down when transporting on a trailer and I can't see any other use for them. Since I am currently in process of restoring the frame on the way to a restorod, would there be any reason not to remove the hooks? Should I fill the holes? Put the bolts back in?

Rob in ND
    Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

I would leave them, as a matter of fact, I'd be tempted to add them if they weren't already there. My '53 has them and they come in handy.

Pat Skelly
      62 GT Hawk
      53 Studillac
      37 Dictator Coupe

Comment

Trailer transport is a consideration when building a new model. Had a friend, owner operator, contracted to, o-hell, that trucking company that did 99% of Studebaker's hauling. The Studebaker engineers would examine loaded cars and determine if tie down attachment's would be required. Normal tie down would be hook and chain over the axle. Hauled a few loads of Studebaker's for this friend, but that another story.

Comment

My '54 Starliner still has these loops in place as well. I've never needed to use them for anything, but I guess there's always a first time.

Dave Bonn
          '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Makes me recall the '64 Hawk that was delivered to my driveway in the nightime hours. This was one that JDP and I collaborated on. The guys hauling it, offloaded while they asked me questions about Studebakers. I never looked to see HOW they'd secured it to the rollback bed. Next morning I found out tho... They put the winch hooks into handy holes in the bottom of the frame. Then they proceeded to pull the winch tight until resistance was detected. Sadly, that resistance came at the price of rolling up frame metal into the hooks the way that the old sardine can's rolled up metal on the can key provided.[8][B)][xx(]
            That Hawk ended up being parted out to support the resto of another Hawk. It had spent most of it's life in an oceanfront town and it made swiss cheese envious![:0]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Rob
              Can you post a picture of the hooks or send me a picture
              Thanks
              Bill
              http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
              sigpic

Comment

I had a '55 Champion four door that had those. I was told that the dealer should have removed them, but like was mentioned here I didn't and found them to come in handy. They work pretty well.

Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                X