• Show
Clear All

• Just booked room for $59.00

I just booked a room for 3 nights @ $59.00 per night
    It's called The Garden Spot Motel
    She said it's right across from the host motel
    Guaranteed clean
    (717)394-4736

Apparently that's one that Dormius didn't 'get' to to raise their price to $99 per night.

toyman

Comment

If you want a room at a place other than the SDC selected Meet sites they are there and many are very reasonable. The best place to find them is via [u]www.padutchcountry.com.</u> This is the OFFICIAL Convention and Visitors Bearu site and it is extremely helpful. There are several small family owned motels within 3 miles of the Host. Just one word of warning parking for Thursday and Friday will be in the Dutch Wonderland Parking Lot for those who are not registered in the Host Resort nor have a car in the Concours. However we will be providing Crossing Guards for those days as well as for Wednesday as trying to cross RT 30 is taking your life in your own hands. Parking because of the KRC's action is now not a problem as we have leased the entire parking lot for three full days.
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

That's where I found this motel, www.padutchcountry.com
        I agree, it is a very helpful website, not just for lodging but also
        dining, attractions, shopping, etc.

Comment

Johnny you haven't seen anything yet. Wait until you check in at the Host to pick up your registration Packet. They will be the first people you see with lots of other good information for you. Lots going to happen in Lancaster so come on down!!!

Comment

Don,
            I've wanted to come to Lancaster for 30 years now.
            I finally decided the other day to bite the bullet and make my reservations, even though I'll miss one of my son's football games!
            How far away is Nickel Mines?

Comment

Johnny thanks for biting the bullet and coming to Lancaster. i promise you that you will not regret making that move. Much has been planned for the week with many International Meet firsts starting with a full buffet followed by the Original Ice Cream Social sponsored by Turkey Hill, and a Blue Grass Band on Monday Night, Welcome Night.

To answer your question you are within 8 miles of Nickel Mines, however if you don't know where it is you will never find it. All traces of the building have been totally eliminated and the school moved some distance away. The meet is being held on the east side of the county where most Amish live and work. As I am sure you know, the Amish are very private people and though I have been in the area for many years they very rarely talk to me or return my always friendly wave. To that point we need to be aware of that and respect therir privacy. They also shun photos so we also need to be respectful of that. However, you will see many Amish while here in Lancaster County especially if you participate in some of the tours and especially the Poker Run on Friday. They are fantastically industrious people who work hard eveyday. Enough said.

Comment

Don,
                Thanks for the heads-up about the Amish in your area.
                I've been interested in these people for many years and have worked
                with and conversed with those in my area of central/southern Illinois
                for the last 30 years. The Amish/Mennonite in our part of the
                country are perhaps more tolerant with the "English", possibly due to
                being more dependent on us for their livelyhood as farming ground has
                become more scarce and they've taken up cabinetry, baking, crafts,
                etc for income.
                I'll be careful with my approach and I always try to be discreet
                if trying to take a picture.
                As a nation, our hearts went out to the people of Nickel Mines, as
                evidenced by the $1.8 million dollars sent to the area in contribu-
                tions. My main interests was just to spend some time there, paying
                my respects. I may be so busy I'll not have the time anyway.
                Looking forward to Sept!
                fstst56

Comment

Johnny when this whole went down, the out pouring from the local English was overwhelming even to the Amish. The reaction of lll to keeo the Media away was incredible and sometimes was hostile if a media person broke the boundries that wre established. The out pouring of all is still discussed. Many of the children who survived the tradegy will never be whole and will need care for the rest of their lives but some will be fine. The real heroes were the State Police and EMT's who responded scooped the kids in their arms and saved life after life. Amazingly the Amish have forgiven those fo the family of the individual who caused all of the turmoil and grief. These people are truly amazing and I respect them for all that they are. Do they have their own internal problems? Absolutely but overall they live a very quiet and peaceful life. They are alo carpenters, furniture makers and work in those industries. My nephew hauls these folks each day to and from work. My sister and brother in law (Pfahler) knows many of the local families. My sister had the prividiledge of teaching many in the last years they attended Public Schools here and those she taught remember and respect her. Come enjoy the meet the countryside and all of the Studebaker fun that is in store for you. Loook me up I promise I will be very prominent and hard to miss in the Lobby of the HOST Resort as my time permits. Just ask a Keystoner where John Clement is and they will point me out.

Comment

Working...
                  X