fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pump

Howdy folks, this is my first time here, so please bear with me. I have a '51 2r5 pickup that I'm getting ready for occaisional use. I'm interested in adding on an electric fuel pump to use as a primer, just to ease wear and tear on the starter when the truck has been idle. Any advice as to type, source or cautionary tales? Bill.

Mount it near the tank, they push more than pull, put a switch on it so you can turn it on and off. make sure it's a 'pull through' so your mechanical pump can suck through it when its not running.

Standard warning: wire it through an oil pressure switch so that it won't keep pumping in an accident when the motor dies and you can't/don't turn off the key.

It's reassuring to have if your vehicle is subject to vapor lock, too.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the best auto forum on line.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction) 353 hrs.
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thanks for the hint about the gauge. The fella behind the counter at the local parts shop just looked down for awhile when I said Studebaker. He had no suggestions. One local mechanic wanted to know if the truck had a computer. "No? Well, we can't work on it then..." No kidding. So... second dumb question, how can I determine if the pump in question is a "pull through"? Bill Studebaker (Yeah, it's really my name.)

Comment

If you can blow thru it with little or no back pressure it will work fine.

Believe it or not, there are other Studebakers on this forum.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        (Under Construction) 353 hrs.
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

I believe! By the way, nice to see your 55, since I'm a 55 Studebaker myself.Bill.

Comment

Working...
          X