Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was Studebaker interested in selling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was Studebaker interested in selling?

This may call for speculation. In the years 57 and 58 What was Studebaker more interested in selling, the Hawk line, or Sedan and j body hardtops(58)? What are the actual production numbers for both 57 and 58 cars in regard to models? It sure does seem like a lot more Hawks survive than the "regular" cars.

No speculation required I feel. Due to the corporation's precarious financial situation, being run by Curtiss-Wright on an $80,000 a month management contract, and the fact that the aforementioned C-W had closed (Killed) Packard in 1956, they were happy to sell anything anyone wanted, and likely you could get what you wanted if you asked, they would do what they had to to get a sale.

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
    Lockleys South Australia
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

At that point Roy Hurley was steering the ship, and didn't seem very interested in improving- or funding the line or developing any long-term plan; just more interested in seeing what he could take from the Corporation.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

At that point Roy Hurley was steering the ship, and didn't seem very interested in improving- or funding the line or developing any long-term plan; just more interested in seeing what he could take from the Corporation.
        BUT ...Hurley deserves full credit for bringing the Packard Hawk to market!![)]

<h4>The older I get ...the better I was! </h4>

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 5859

This may call for speculation. In the years 57 and 58 What was Studebaker more interested in selling, the Hawk line, or Sedan and j body hardtops(58)? What are the actual production numbers for both 57 and 58 cars in regard to models? It sure does seem like a lot more Hawks survive than the "regular" cars.
          One has to remember a high volume automaker depends on its 'bread-and-butter' sedans for survival, and Studebaker would have wanted to sell MORE of those than anything else. The reason there are more Hawks around today is due to their desirabilty. Sedans didn't get appreciated for years while all the 'good' ones got driven into the ground, hence, few survivors. The Hawks were usually bought by an enthusiast, (as opposed to a travelling salesman buying one) and would have got better care of right from day one.

Craig

Comment

One important fact, many Studebakers were built on demand so as it was said they'd build whatever you wanted within reason. Yes, they did have an inventory and yes the Hawks were popular and yes they did build sedans but not what they should have. So if you wanted a cat a dealer could get you almost anything you wanted.

See you in the future as I write about our past
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

And, as many have noted elsewhere, the '58s were not the most beautifully designed cars in the world (although I still have a jones for the J models!). One of the worst production years ever.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I think one of the things you need to keep in mind when talking about 1958's is that it was an Industry Failure!

Times were very tough then, and people were not buying many cars, after a good year for the industry in '57, only fair for Studebaker Packard however. [V]

And it certainly did not help that GM and somewhat Ford, went "Chrome Crazy" and threw the good styling book out the window! Those were some of ugliest cars EVER! When you park a '58 Buick, Pontiac or Olds next to a Stude. President, the Studes. look MIGHTY GOOD! [:0]

In my opinion the only '58 that looked reasonably good was the new Chevy. Impala and the mid level trim Bel Air! [:0]

So all these happenings and the General's dumb idea to make the '59's almost as ugly, but even BIGGER tanks than the '58, is what led a large amount of their more sensibly minded customers to defect over to the Studebaker Showroom to see & buy the new "bigger on the inside, smaller on the outside" Lark, the only car except the Nash Rambler Classic, that was the "right" size! [^]

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi, Rich,
                  quote:
                  large amount of their more sensibly minded customers to defect over to the Studebaker Showroom

It's all relative, there must have been a severe shortage of "sensibly minded customers" even if Studebaker got them all:
                  1959 Studebaker production 126,156
                  1959 GM production 2,200,00

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                  PackardV8

Comment

You're right Jack, I think all 2,200,000 of em were "ahead of their time" Me too generation'ers !

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

It's all relative, there must have been a severe shortage of "sensibly minded customers" even if Studebaker got them all:
                    1959 Studebaker production 126,156
                    1959 GM production 2,200,00thnx, jack vines
                    StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

"What were they trying to sell?" ANYTHING 'cept the fixtures in the plant! CARS primarily - trucks too - anything that would beat back the RED ink.[V]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The Scotsman model are great evidence of a desparate S-P trying to find every nitch not covered by another maker and that they could "afford" (they couldn't afford anything - it's ammazing they did the things they did) to do act on. Did any other North American producer have a car with "cardboard" door panels (OK, dooors on a King Midget were optional!)?

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
                        47 M-5
                        Izzer Buggy
                        Junior Wagon
                        Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                        61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                        Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                        Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

The Packard Hawk was - according to the Kimes edited history - originally a one-off special for Roy Hurley that was put into production.

John Clements
                          Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                          Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
                          Lockleys South Australia
                          John Clements
                          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

The Scotsman strategy is quite simple, actually. Even before the woeful year for the whole industry that '58 was, Studebaker was grappling to sell ANYthing they could. The Scotsman was an attempt ( a fairly successful one at that) to produce THE cheapest full-size offering on the market.[}]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hi

Answer: as many cars as they could in hopes of breaking even, maybe making a profit for a change!!!!!

Although the Presidents and Packards were higher unit profit models, the Scotmans created the highest percentage of the sales. Without those Scotsman generating some cash flow they might not even have gotten to bring the Lark to market.

It was a terrible time to be in the carmaking business......not unlike now!

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X