X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now THERE is a NEW Scotsman!

http://tinyurl.com/5kwqql

Really UNbelievable!

The PO prob'ly said, "Putt me some whitewalls, a radio 'n heater and lemme outta here!"

John

In the spirit of this month's Turning Wheels with airplane and Studebaker photos...

In the early 50s Mooney aircraft made a single seat plane called the Mite. It featured retractable landing gear and a canopy you could open in flight (or leave open if you were bigger than the cockpit). To promote its thrifty nature "You can fly for a penny a mile...", they made a version called the "Wee Scotsman".

Take a look at a period brochure from the Mooney Mite website:

There's a Mite at a small airport near me where I saw it a couple of weeks ago.
    Sadly, it didn't have a plaid tail.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

That is the best looking Scotsman I've ever seen. Very neat.

Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO
      President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
      Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gary1953

That is the best looking Scotsman I've ever seen. Very neat.

Reminds me of this one, which I believe in now in SNM.

Craig

Comment

8E, thats how I remember a Scotsman! No chrome at all! When i was a kid in the late 50's, I saw this Scotsman every week while doing my paper route on Harrell Ave in Woodbridge, N.J. I believe it belonged to the town postmaster. It stood out not because of always being parked on the street opposite his house, but because it lacked everything, chrome, white walls, radio, ect. But it still was a Stude and still looked great. It would be nice to see the build sheet ont the e-bay one, to see if all the chrome mouldings, headlamp doors, ect were factory equipped or just added as the years past by the owner to make it more his own.

60 Lark convertible
          61 Champ
          62 Daytona convertible
          63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2)
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

That's a beautiful car. I've never noticed until now just how '56-Chevy-like the deck, taillight and bumper treatment are from the rear... on purpose, you think?

This is going to make some SDCer a nice ride.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb
              It would be nice to see the build sheet ont the e-bay one, to see if all the chrome mouldings, headlamp doors, ect were factory equipped or just added as the years past by the owner to make it more his own.
              If they weren't factory ordered, they could be bought over the counter at a dealer. More here on accessory chrome trim on a Scotsman.

Craig

Comment

A nice looking Scotty to be sure, but it should have blackwall tires, those wide whites just don't look right with that clean body (IMHO).

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                May 23-25, 2009?
                </h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by showbizkid

That's a beautiful car. I've never noticed until now just how '56-Chevy-like the deck, taillight and bumper treatment are from the rear... on purpose, you think?

So much so that there is a famous quote on that subject. From one of the car mags I think, goes something like "GM Could Have Sold a Million of These". Implying that the styling was great, but the car buying public was afraid of getting an orphan.

Dwain G.
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

GM probably could have sold a Million Lark's, Hawk's, and Avanti's had the made them.

John Clements
                    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                    Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
                    Lockleys South Australia
                    John Clements
                    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

All those accessories and no battery hold down! [:0]

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I bet it's a beauty- can't wait to see it this weekend[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I bet it's a beauty- can't wait to see it this weekend[^]

[brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews
                          [:0] Did you buy it, Bob? [:0][] BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Johnnywiffer
                            The PO prob'ly said, "Putt me some whitewalls, a radio 'n heater and lemme outta here!"

John[/b][/font=Comic Sans MS][/size=2][/blue]
                            John: The cheapie heater seen on this car was standard equipment on Scotsmans, but the ton of chrome was not, i.e; headlight doors, hub caps, stainless spears (1957 Champion/Commander Custom trim) on the sides, etc. [b]BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

quote:Originally posted by Johnnywiffer

John[/b][/font=Comic Sans MS][/size=2][/blue]
                              John: The cheapie heater seen on this car was standard equipment on Scotsmans, but the ton of chrome was not, i.e; headlight doors, hub caps, stainless spears (1957 Champion/Commander Custom trim) on the sides, etc. [b]BP
                              The ASHTRAY would be an OPTION on a Scotsman today!!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X