64 Commander pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Commander pic

This is photo of Kevin's (kpcoupe) Commander.

Ebon...

I knew Kevin was working on a Hawk. What's the story on this car?

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

I knew Kevin was working on a Hawk. What's the story on this car?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

does it look to be worth $350 without a title?

Kevin Phillips
        Jacksonville,AR
        57 Silver Hawk
        Kevin Phillips
        Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

"Worth it" is a relative term here. What do you want from it? Restore? rod? parts? flip?

You can start with the fact that it's worth that to the crusher; so you're not out anything. Beyond that, there are several questions that you'll have to answer for yourself, starting with the above...

At least for now it's still a Studebaker, instead of an indistinguishable pile of shredded metal. That's a good start!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Yep, you can't get hurt as long as you don't touch it. It's cheap entertainment if you're watching every dime looking ti break even.

JDP/Maryland
            "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

Thomas Jeffereson
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Hey kpcoupe. Uncle Rick will have that running and painted before you know it.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
              As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

Yup, it needs a little work.
                Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Well, a buyer would need to keep in mind that there is no "8" emblem [8] on the front fender, so that OHV 6 may be like most, not salvageable![V]

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

He did say it was a 6... it looks straight; if it's not rusted much underneath- and Uncle Rick can get it running easily and throw a quickie paint job on her, and it may be worth making into a driver... beyond that, I dunno..............

I still have a rusty 64 Commander with totally rebuilt engine and S/S exhaust waiting for just the right car. I drove it until it lost reverse.

That car is out there, still waiting for me

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

yes it is a six cylinder. is that six not very good? who made that six i can't remember. but isn't it a lot like the chevy six? and i talked to grandpa rick and he is going to go look at it tomarrow and see if it would be worth 350 to ethier get on the road or part it out. as long as he says it is i am going to go ahead and get it and then i will have another project.

Kevin Phillips
                      Jacksonville,AR
                      57 Silver Hawk
                      Kevin Phillips
                      Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

Assuming it's the original 64 engine, it's a 170 cu. in. OHV 6 built by Studebaker, first offered in 1961. Sweet running little engine, an overhead conversion of the flathead. They say the heads have a tendency to crack, but I've seen enough that didn't have any problem. Not very powerful of course, but I personally love the way they purr[^]

If it's mostly solid underneath, and the engine's not stuck (or frees up with a little effort, which it probably would) it's a makeable car. Sadly, if it needs much more than that, it's probably not worth fixing. If you want to mess with it, you could probably make a few bucks parting some of it and scrapping the rest.

Let us know more about condition when you find out!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

just to let everyone know this car has quite a bit of rust in the rockers and door area so i am not going to get it. grandpa said it would only be worth it for parts if you had a car like it so if anyone else is interested i can give you his phone number just email me.

Kevin Phillips
                          Jacksonville,AR
                          57 Silver Hawk
                          Kevin Phillips
                          Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

As much as I'd like to see it saved, I think you made the correct choice.

JDP/Maryland
                            "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                            Thomas Jefferson
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kpcoupe

just to let everyone know this car has quite a bit of rust in the rockers and door area so i am not going to get it.
                              If that little bit of rust's going to scare you off you should see my car!!! There was more rust that good metal! Although 80% of that is now gone (new metal)...

Comment

Working...
                              X