Bought the 1960 convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought the 1960 convertible

I took a ride over to check out the convertible today with my friend Robyn and bought it. The good news is the car is very nice cosmetically, the owner had 20K spent on the restoration since 2004, including 6K in the floors,bodywork and paint. The front end, engine, and brakes were also redone.
    It needs carpets, bumpers and belt line rechrome to be real nice, but a excellent driver as-is. The rocker boxes are not perfect, but not bad enough to worry about in my opinion. I have a picture of the car before paint and no rust was showing, but there is some putty in the rear of the front fenders that I detected with my refrigerator magnet, but is not a visible repair.

BTW, does the interior/exterior color look close to stock, and should I install the factory wheels and hub caps ?

Pictures

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

Thomas Jeffereson
    JDP Maryland

I'd loose the fuzzy dice. Good lookin' car.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction) 346 hrs.
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

I will lose the dice, and might install the skirts that come with the car if I go with factory wheels and wide whites. Just need to decide if the wide whites will add any value to the car over the mags.

JDP/Maryland
      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

Thomas Jeffereson
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Boy wish I had a friend that looks like that to go lookin for Studes with .
        John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

The engine is nicely detailed! []

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
          May 23-25, 2009?
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

I don't like that black is becoming the preferred color for the firewall and inner fenders for a lot of folks, but that's being picky for a nice driver.

JDP/Maryland

Thomas Jeffereson
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Wheels? A good rule of thumb is to save the really shiny wheels for cars with gloss paint and the machined aluminum ones for cars with metallic paint.

Comment

Geeze, John; why not just detail it and leave it alone?

The green is so far from any 1960 Studebaker color that it's not going to excite purists, and it is so cute as it is that it has a wider appeal anyhow... BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I don't intend to repaint it, just curious about the color. They had a green or two so I wondered. If the color is that whacked out from factory, maybe leave the wheels too.

JDP/Maryland

Thomas Jeffereson
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

I think that color AND the wheels look great on that car- and I mostly like stock wheels and caps!

I'd love to have 'er in my garage[]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

John,

Are the rims 14" or 15"? If they are 15's any idea of the width? Also has the inner lip of the rear wheel wells been pushed out to give more tire clearance? Thanks for any info.

Rob

Comment

I think 15x6 no modification that I saw, but he could not keep the skirts with the wheels.

JDP/Maryland

Thomas Jeffereson
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

I think it must be leave as is.
                          It looks pretty nice and will "jump" from any group of Larks in gatherings and parades

Studebakerchile

Comment

OK, jump it will, I'll just clean her up and see if it talks to me as is.

JDP/Maryland

Thomas Jeffereson
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

Great!

Studebakerchile

Comment

Working...
                              X