you need a horse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you need a horse

Guido; Wanted to be sure you didn't miss this.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Dick,

I have been watching this since it first was listed. Unfortunately, a horse will do no good since it has no shafts. [:0][B)] It would need to be completely stripped, repainted and the seat and top redone. The good news is the rear main seal doesn't leak, the glass is good and it doesn't have the usual rust in the front fenders.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Nice buggy, but a bit more utilitarian than the one in the original drawing he put up. Two horses must be the R-2 version.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
      "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

But its low horse power and cheap on fuel. Of course the emmissions would be bad. Can you just imagine what it would be like if we had the amount of horse crap for the population of today with horses on the street. I remember in Philadelphia in the forties still having horse drawn milk and ice wagons on the streets. I also remember Gimbles department stores using electric delivery vans. About 1945-46. Wow I am old.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

The Drop-Front Phaeton in the illustration would indeed have been the 'R2 version'. However, that's like using a Hawk or Avanti as an example of what a Lark would look like restored.[)] Nevertheless, shafts and or a pole could be easily be procured for this vehicle from Whitman's, Raber's or any other carriage parts supplier. Except that they're located almost exclusively in the east, Carriages have as good a supply network as we do.

The top that's supplied with this vehicle shows considerable weathering. It's possible that the top bows are completely shot. The supporting tubes are probably rusted out too. Not a serious problem, though, as they're available from the above mentioned suppliers.

I wonder who won this vehicle from the auction?

Oh, I almost forgot; the popular phrase of the day was, "Get a horse!" Usually shouted at a broken down horseless carriage's owner.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          Lotsa Larks!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
          X