So What's In The Package?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So What's In The Package?

I went thru the seach feature and couldn't find what I'm looking for. There is the R2 Package car (or Super Lark), but no definitive answer about what comes in the package. So for 1964, what was in the package? I can guess about some of these options...

* R2 Engine
    * 4-Speed or Power Shift Transmissions
    * Twin Traction Rear End
    * Traction Bars
    * Bucket Seats
    * Redline Tachometer
    * Dual Exhaust
    * Front Power Disc Brakes
    * A Bright Shade of Red (on '63 models)

[u]Added</u>
    * Three Way Adjustable Shocks
    * HD Srings
    * Frt & Rear Sway Bars
    * 'Premium Fuel Only' Warning Decal
    * Tire Warning Decal
    * HD Drive shaft
    * 160 MPH Speedometer
    * Grille & Fender Badges
    * Carpet on Low Line Models
    * Frt Seat Belts

[u]Optional</u>
    * Firestone 500 Nylon Tires
    * Hilibrand Magnesium Wheels ('64 Only)
    * Super Red Paint (on '63 Pkg. cars)

Am I missing anything else? Inquiring minds want to know!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

In addition to your list, we have What Mike added:

(1)Redline at 5-6,000 Tach.
    (2)Four H.D. Gabriel Adjustable Shocks
    (3)Glove Box Tire Warning sticker
    (4)H.D.Springs
    (5)Rear Stabilizer Bar
    (6)H.D. Driveshaft

I have a few more:
    (7)Red gas cap decal "Use only Premium Fuel"
    (8)160 MPH Speedo
    (9)Front Seat Belts, L & R
    (10)On models without Carpet: '63 Regal & Standard, '64 Commander & Challenger- The floor covering was upgraded to Carpet!
    (11)Grille & front fender badges.

Option for Firestone "500" Nylon Tires and '64 only, Hilibrand Magnesium Wheels. []

In addition to the upgrades on the cars there were many little changes on R Series engines over the Standard 289 in addition to the well known ones; Heavy Duty Starter, high lift Fuel Pump Lobe, high output fuel pump, cool fuel circulating system, 3/8" tank to fuel pump line, larger throat AFB Carburator, special high performance vacuum advance, dual point distributor, 40 Amp. Alternator(except R2 Hawk), high & low speed circuit Crankcase Ventilation System W/Oil Pan breather, Oil Pan & Main Bearing windage trays, sealed lifter cover, (3)Tri-Metal intermediate Main Bearings, Tri-Metal Clevite 77 Rod Bearings, H.D. Aluminum Cam Gear, 24 Degree Timing Plate on Gear Cover, colder Spark Plugs W/shorter 3/8" reach.
    Whoo! out of breath![^]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks guys! I can also assume that '63's came in Super Red only?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Super Red was popular on package cars,but not the only color.

JDP/Maryland
        "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

Thomas Jeffereson
        JDP Maryland

Comment

What JP said. You could get a Super Lark or Hawk in any production color, but Super Red was limited to Package Cars only.

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

What JP said. You could get a Super Lark or Hawk in any production color, but Super Red was limited to Package Cars only.

Matthew Burnette

Easy, Matthew
            : When you get old enough to drink, don't bet a round in the bar at a Stude Meet with that answer. Officially, Super Red was package only. Unofficially, if you had the "in," you could get it on a non-package car.

To wit: You are familiar with Nelson Bove's factory Super Red, 1963 R2 Standard 2-door. Well, it's not a package car but it was factory Super Red [:0] and it was ordered and originally purchased by a Studebaker employee. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Not to mention the Avanti powered 64 GT's (or GT) painted Avanti maroon. Studebaker would bend the rules to make a sale.

JDP/Maryland
              "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

Thomas Jeffereson
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Just a note about the engine. Externally, this will be straight from the parts book. It has to look exactly as it came from the factory. I can run a lighter starter. The intake casting numbers have to match and so do the head casting numbers. Picking the car up this afternoon .

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I have ran into people at shows that thought Golden Hawks were only available in gold.....We all know better than that.

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
                  Lewisville,NC
                  1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                  Lewisville,NC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by blackhawk61

I have ran into people at shows that thought Golden Hawks were only available in gold.....We all know better than that.
                    What about the Golden Larks? []

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by blackhawk61

True... but in their defense, Tiara Gold *was* a pretty popular color in '57, so at car shows one does see a disproportionate number of gold colored Golden Hawks. The '56 models seem to have typically more interesting color selections (Ceramic Green/Snowcap White being very popular)

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

As there is another thread on package cars, I just thought I'd bump this up to the top in case anyone had anything to add .

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Tom: From your original post that opened this thread, I don't see 4-ply blackwall tires listed anywhere. They were part of the high-performance package.

Also, you've repeatedly referred to 3-way adjustable shock absorbers. Heavy-duty shock absorbers are always listed for package cars, but I've never seen any Studebaker literature wherein they are referred to as "3-Way Adjustable," even though they may have been. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong Bob but I believe all pkg cars used the heavy duty frame as used on the HT, even if it was a two dr Commander.

Comment

Yeah,
                              What Swifter said. I have a Golden Lark.[:0]

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                              X