Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '53-'55 wheel cover center color

Hello Group,

I'm in the process of buffing out the wheel covers of our '54 Commander Starliner. I have sprayed on Studebaker International's clear gold paint in the center of the first one, and it looks way too dark -- more burnt orange than gold. What is a better alternative, and where can I get it?

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Hummelstown, PA
    Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Try a thinner coat.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction) 336 hrs.
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Metal Tint #SP-233 Gold from a hobby shop

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

SP? Wow, what a coincidence!! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by studegary

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

SP? Wow, what a coincidence!! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by studegary

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          Great minds think alike <G>. I thought the same thing when I typed the number.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by alanmende

I'm in the process of buffing out the wheel covers of our '54 Commander Starliner. I have sprayed on Studebaker International's clear gold paint in the center of the first one, and it looks way too dark -- more burnt orange than gold. What is a better alternative, and where can I get it?
            Years ago I posed that question to the Shrock Brothers. They told me they used the paint that body shops used to paint front turn signal bulbs amber. Of course that's probably hard to find now too.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
            Museum R-4 engine
            1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
            1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I've been asked a few times at shows what I used for this on my '53.

I think it looks better in person than this picture.

I used this stuff:

The label on the back says its "EMC202000 YELLOW ANODIZE". Bought at Checker Auto Parts, I think.

I think its maybe a little too orange-ish but it has the correct "look", I think, as its transparent so the polished stainless shows through.

I polished the stainless wheel cover on the buffer then masked and sprayed it on "fairly" heavily. It looked cloudy when wet and took about 2-3 days to dry. I was able to clean off overspray with lacquer thinner easily the next day even. Probaby took near to a week before I thought it was fully dry. Its holding up well though and I have not seen any evidence of fading or chipping in the last 5 yrs.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Thank you everyone for your responses. I ordered VHT Metal Tint #SP-233 yesterday. Jeff: that Dupli-Color Metal Cast looks very good. I only hope that the VHT stuff (with shipping, it's pretty expensive) works as well, or I'll be kicking myself for not waiting for your response to come in.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                Hummelstown, PA
                Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by alanmende

Hello Group,

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                  Hummelstown, PA
                  Alan, if you really want to go ORIGINAL[u]Transparent Gold enamel, LY-303</u>." The good news is the company is still in business; the not-so-good news is they have long since been out of the wheel cover business. If you're real lucky, you may find someone there willing & able to look up "LY-303" and either give you the original formula or their source for that paint.

Come join the Lyons team! We're looking to hire dedicated people for factory jobs and careers in the greater Dowagiac area.

Good Luck!!!

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

Thanks for the various suggestions on the gold transparent paint for the wire wheel center cap I will wait and see if there are any more ideas and then make my purchase

Joe

Joe Parsons

Comment

Working...
                    X