53 front fender spears needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 front fender spears needed

After MONTHS of waiting for Carolina Custom Chrome of Mauldin,SC to finish the estimated 3-4 week rechroming of the headlight rings and front fender spears for my 53 coupe I finally got the spears and one of the headlight rims back today.They were supposed to be show chrome but they are butchered!![xx(] I THINK the ring I did get back is salvagable and hopefully the other one will be also but am pretty sure the spears are toast.They are badly misshapen now and while shiny look terrible. I need a rechromable pair to send to another plater (club member Jerry Forrester) who already has about half the rest of the chrome ready.If anyone has a set they would sell reasonably please let me know,I am dropping the bumpers and a few other pieces soon.
    sigpic

Why did you not buy the repro rings, they look great ?

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

Thomas Jeffereson
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Can you, or for that matter, can anyone post a picture of the spears you are looking for? I've got boxes of stuff, that may contain what you're looking for. I just need a visual ID.

sals54
      sals54

Comment

Picture of spears measuring 19"

Some of the damage he mentioned. BAD CHROMER

Thanks for all your help !
        Tracy

Can't wait to drive my V-8!
        '63 Lark

Comment

Like JDP says - buy the repro HL rings. Those spears were an option in '53 & '54 - standard equipment on some 55s. Part#299441

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks,I have already bought NOS glass pieces for the spears so I hate to ditch them now.I had heard mixed opinions about the aftermarket headlight rims and it was comparible money to replate mine (guess thats all relative since he butchered them)so I went that route.I guess I will pick up a set of aftermarkets in Asheville or Lancaster now.This car has been cursed since I started on it.It still sits at the body shop untouched except for the work I have done on it myself (they quoted 45 days return in January).I REALLY wanted to do a museum quality restoration on it and have ponied up the bucks for everything about it but it seems to be to no avail.Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Also I am assuming like the fenders these are different than the ones on a 4 door sedan,Is that correct?Thanks,Steve
              sigpic

Comment

If the shop hasn't worked on the car in the past six months, they probably won't work on it, at least in a satisfactory manner, in the next six years. This statement is based on observations and experience. I suggest getting the car to a shop with a good track record, especially one with experience with Studebakers.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Yes,I have actually been going by to try and catch someone there so I can get it somewhere else.I have a guy in VA that will do the floor repair (very little needed) then I want to get it to a stude shop.I had e-mailed a couple but never heard back.I will try again after I get the car in my hands again.I would bypass the Va guy altogether also if I could find the right shop to do the work.He can and will do a top quality job but it is more as a favor to me (he is an elderly retired family member)and I realkly dont want to impose on him like that.Thanks,Steve
                  sigpic

Comment

Have you considered Keilens in Mass.?

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Gary,I havent heard of them before.The ones I had tried to contact were Ray-Lin and Classic Coach works.Also tried to contact McPherson College in Ks.I dont believe my e-mail went through to Ray-Lin and McPherson announced in an unrelated correspondence that they were not going to do outside work any more.I had kind of put it on hold until I could get the car back in my hands.The guy who has it now has been a real pain to deal with.He insisted the floorpans needed replacing to do it correctly so I bought new pans,then said the engine was in his way and needed to be removed so I removed the engine/trans for him,then the seats were a problem(Dont know how he thought he could do the pans with the seats in)but I removed them for him anyway,then he says the pans arent bad enough to warrant replacing them(questioned this before I bought pans).I also removed all the chrome,the quarters,hood,and have nearly got the front clip unbolted for him and had the glass removed as well as supplying all the manuals and pics of everything he has questioned.My opinion is he has no clue how to proceed and tackled more than he can handle.It has allowed me to do some hands on stuff to the car but if I have to do all the work why does he think I should pay him over $10,000 ($8500 + materials)to do the paint and body.The only reason he still has it is because it is stored indoors and until about a month ago I had pretty good access to it.Steve
                      sigpic

Comment

Steve, take the car somewhere else. This is only gonna get worse.
                        Those spears are the same - sedan or C-K.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks,I know where a 55 sedan that I think has them is.I will check it this weekend.And yes,the decision has already been made to take the 53 elsewhere,I just have to catch the shop open so I can get it out.Steve
                          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, first priority... get the car out of there.

sals54
                            sals54

Comment

I've got a couple of extra headlight rings which are re plateable, let me know if you want a couple of them.

sals54
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X