Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What year were these wheelcovers offered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What year were these wheelcovers offered?

These were in the aforementioned farm full of parts, any additional info appreciated.

[img][/img]

Offered late 63 for 64 models. Here they are on my old Avanti.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

Thomas Jeffereson
    JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

These were in the aforementioned farm full of parts, any additional info appreciated.
      Mid-year 1964 to 1966.

Craig

Comment

We have a set for our 63 Avanti. Worth a pretty penny if they're in good condition. LOL, they also never see the rims until the show, there just something about those clips that doesn't sit well with us.
        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Thanks, guys. Were they really still being made up to '66 or just for the '64's? These are part of the lot that I helped pull out for sale soon and if any of you are interested I can send you to the right place. They are not scratched up, just dirty like everything else from this find. They should clean up nicely. Looked for the other two, but haven't found any sign of a full set. Any idea what they might be worth for that "pretty penny"?

Here are just a few of the other things there:

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark
            Were they really still being made up to '66 or just for the '64's?
            From the 1966 Accessories folder...

Craig

Comment

The retainer clips are a very important piece for those caps. They do not snap on like regular wheel covers. Also, in order to check/air up the tire, the cap must be pulled away from the wheel.PITA I came across a full set about 20yrs ago, NOS, still in the original box. I didn't like'em for that reason, but a fellow chapter member did, and they're still on his 63 Avanti.

Dan Miller
              Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
              Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

$400-$600 a set.

JDP/Maryland
                "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

Thomas Jeffereson
                JDP Maryland

Comment

The spinner's OK-looking, but the very sparse "wires" with the stainless backing - man they look like Walmart aftermarket covers.[V] Then there's those clips![8]
                  The old Speedster "wires" were a pain too, what with that silly darned bucket that held the cover in place by bolting to the lug studs. But AT LEAST... these sported enough of a wire count to look more attractive.[:X]

I've got a set of Buick wires from the 80s or so that are nice-looking and have a big, flat center area. I've thought about faking a Stude emblem in their centers and using them on a Stude.[:I]

BTW: Someone once told me of PILES of these late Stude wire caps outside of the Hamilton plant after March of '66. The assumption being they were sent to scrap.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

8E45E, that's the one accessory booklet I don't have! Thanks for the pic.

Biggs, they don't feel cheap at all; kinda heavy and don't have any dings in them. They aren't mine, I'm just the guy who went in the barns and attics and pulled them out. If that stuff were mine I would have them washed and presentable by now.

JP, that price for NOS? What is fair for these two if cleaned up? Looks like a lot of work to look anywhere near your Avanti wheels. I can't believe the difference cleaned. I didn't look for those important clips to see if they were there and these are 35 minutes away. What do the clips look like, I might be able to find them. Are they separate from the wheelcovers? I'm told there were four at one time, so I will look for them.

Comment

SASCO had the clips last year. Selling a half set is a problem, maybe $75.00-$100 each ?

JDP/Maryland

Thomas Jeffereson
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

The cheapness I'm talking about is the appearance. Of course, even tho I'm not a fan of them, I HAD to have one to complete my collection. Luckily, ol' "Eagle Eye" JDP found one for me at Reidsville one year. He paid 50 bucks for it and I thought t was a bargain! - even IF one side was bent a bit.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'd love to have that box of tailight lenses...

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          Lotsa Larks!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

That's only one box and they can be loved in person easily and probably reasonably if you email me. I tried to put all of the housings and tail lights in two rubbermaid containers, but in every corner and cubby hole I found boxes with more stuff and by the end of the day it was a fire brigade line to one area. Never got back to organize it properly. Today it's supposed to all be picked up by a local buyer, but he's motivated not to get stuck with stuff that others are willing to take off his hands before Lancaster or Winks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
                              "The cheapness I'm talking about is the appearance."

I know what you meant, Bob. They look very different. When Matthew first showed me those shiny ones in a NOS condition photo I thought they were a completly different wheel cover. Too nice. They almost look more believable, or as a correct accessory, dirty. That was meant more for others not familiar with how heavy a stainless steel with which they were made. The family told me that these were on their dad's car and he had lots of trouble keeping them on..sound familiar? My guess is he may have just lost the other two to potholes and then took these two off many high tides ago. But, we are still finding stuff tucked away. There still may be a complete set. There are lots of inner fenders, doors with good stainless window frames and fenders. A large pile of stainless and aluminum trim to wade through. Mostly Lark years. I can send more pics if desired.

Comment

Working...
                              X