Cheap '64 2 door sedan in FLA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap '64 2 door sedan in FLA

This '64 Commander 2 door sedan has an opening bid of $100.00. That is far less than scrap and the thing looks solid. It was apparently being driven 3 years ago. Someone save it!

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

I know the seller, he's good friends with my granddad. He's a good guy, and I wouldn't be leary of buying a car from him.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

7 day auction with 6 days and 22 hours left, don't panic quite yet.

JDP/Maryland
      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

Thomas Jeffereson
      JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

I know the seller, he's good friends with my granddad. He's a good guy, and I wouldn't be leary of buying a car from him.
        Matthew, any way of finding out what he's looking to get for it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster
          Matthew, any way of finding out what he's looking to get for it?
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Mulberry, FL
          I don't see a "reserve not met" on this, so...

maybe whatever you want to bid?

StudeDave [8D]
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

He has it for sale locally. This won't stay at $100. And he's a half hour away. I might try to get a hold of the guy tomorrow to go see the car...Supercharger, 4-speed, and lots of drag racing [}]

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Stephen Cade emailed me this.

Howdy Matthew,
              I still can't log on, so please forward if you like.
              Dave Engle saved the 1964 Commander from the crusher close to thirty years ago. We acquired it from Dave and Michael Scarabino's brother Marcus patched it up in our shop. It seems that we did the brakes, re rung it etc. My hippy sisters ex husband drove it daily for a few years.
              When it began to foul the number six plug, he and my sister traded it back to my father for a 1957 Silver Hawk. That hawk now sits in our warehouse and is a nice car.
              Not too long before dad died, we sold the car to Jerry Shelton's son. We had title problems, that I was slow to correct, so we never cashed the check. He got a pretty cheap car.
              The car has some pretty good rust, but is restorable. Maybe an ambitious guy will purchase it. I can tell you it will not be me. I hope he makes lots of money. Stephen

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Matthew, Is there a phone number to reach this gentleman? I'm not far from him today. You can e-mail me at **** or call me at ***-***-****

Thanks!

Tom

EDIT: Thanks! Jerry got ahold of me and I'm on my way to look at the car

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

And then there were two...

I bought it. I should say I agreed to buy it. $500. I pick it up Saturday with the tow dolly.

Stephen is correct about the rust, but compared to the typical midwest car I'm use to seeing, it's not bad. With a couple of exceptions, and Stephen can add more if he'd like, both front fenders are starting to rust in the lower rear (available), the hood is rusted out (available), the left side cowl and lower 'A' pillar (repairable), driver's side floor (repairable/available), and deck lid. The quarters and doors look good. The interior is green. The carpet is soaked from the cowl rust/leak and it will be removed once it gets home.

Plans? I've been looking for a 2-dr sedan to run in FAST, and this fits the bill. It has an OHV 6 that hasn't run it 3 years(?). There is a three on the tree, and I don't recall seeing the overdrive handle . The frame looked solid, but I'll know better once it's home. Anyone need a 6/3-spd combo?

I'll post pics in a day or two. I'm loaded with paperwork and jobs for the next day or two so I'm a little busy.

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Good for you, Tom! I'd like a 2 door with a 6 stick/OD for a driver; not a bad setup for running around town...

I am surprised, though; you have said a few times, and repeated recently, that you'd NEVER buy a car with rust again[)] For this car's sake, I'm glad you went back on that statement[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I am surprised, though; you have said a few times, and repeated recently, that you'd NEVER buy a car with rust again[)] For this car's sake, I'm glad you went back on that statement[^]
                      Well, a lot will depend on if the rust is far more extensive than I think there is. It certainly isn't as clean as the Daytona. I'll probably see about dipping this car when the time comes and then have it E-Coated.

I was glancing at the pictures I took yesterday, and noticed the chrome O/D handle . I really wasn't looking for it and my plans include another 4-spd. I may try and get it running while working on the Daytona, but if I do, I'll probably be with a Chevy 4.3L V6 with the 3-spd with O/D. The brakes will need to be redone most likely so I may get one of Jim Turner's kits.

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Tom, I guess I have been lax with the forum. As soon as I saw the post I tried to bid and it was gone.

Good luck with it. holler if you need some help.

Mike

got my '59 Lark

Comment

Working...
                        X