shortened frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shortened frame

when I put my M16 on a chevy 1/2 ton frame ,I shortened frame about 17 inches to make it match a m5 wheelbase. measured the best I could ,but was still a little worried on how straight I got it back. Took it yesterday to get lined up,and they had the latest ,greatest line up setup. he put all 4 wheels in the setup and when I told him I had taken 17 inches out of frame,he gave me a funny look. He checked position of front and rear axle and said it was off .040. Told me a new 2008 is off more than my M. Talk about a happy camper. I credit that to beginners luck. So I guess truck should track straight.

Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Nice when a plan works out!
    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Superb!
      I can't get that close with my trusty string...
      (Squaring chassis the old school way since 1970..)
      Good on 'ya Randy!!
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by rodnutrandy

<snip>
      He checked position of front and rear axle and said it was off .040. <snip>
      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sounds great. A couple years ago I had a shop line up my 46 chev pick-up that had a AMC Pacer front end under it. They did everything based on the computer(Pacer) and within a month I was replacing all front supension parts as it was so far off it distroyed averything. What spec's did they go by??? I would be surprised if using the Chevy 1/2 would work. I finally went to a old timer you did an old fashion aliegnment and NEVER had another problem. What did your shop use for specs???

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
        Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

we went by 83 Chevy 1/2 ton specs. frame is actually a 1970 ,but had drum brakes and manual steering. I got front suspension from a 83 with power disc brakes and power steering. 10 of 12 bolts lined up when I put it under the 70 frame. Front suspension cost me $125. I thought pretty reasonable for the gain of power disc brakes and power steering. Hope to find out in about a month how it drives out. Have to get A/c lines crimped and installed, than start mounting front sheet metal again. I know what you mean on old timers. problem here is most the old timers are out of it.

Randy Wilkin
          1946 M5 Streetrod
          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133
          Randy Wilkin
          1946 M5 Streetrod
          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Working...
          X