Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'63 Daytona Hardtops, what a common car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63 Daytona Hardtops, what a common car!

A guy walked into the store today, and commented on the green Lark in the parking lot. We got to talking, and he said that "back in the late '60's, my dad went out and bought a '63 Lark Daytona, two door hardtop. It had a 3 speed overdrive trans, and a supercharger from the factory. He let me take it out a couple of times, and it'd do a little over 100 MPH in second overdrive!"

Now, that would be a cool car to find! [8D]

When he said it was a '63 Daytona, I told him I had one, and was going to pick up a second one this weekend, and it has a 4 speed. The expression on his face was priceless. I'll bet it was the first time in 30 years that he spoke to someone that had a '63 Daytona HT! (Or two, for that matter. )

BTW, more on my 'new' car once we get it home on Sunday. [^]

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Sounds like you are having way too much fun to call that place you go every day "work"! [}]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23-25, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

Ah, those cars are a dime a dozen!

At 3,763 units, even the most basically-equipped '63 Daytona Hardtop would have been a rare sight, even back in '63. That's almost 900 units fewer built than '63 GT Hawks!

Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

A guy walked into the store today, and commented on the green Lark in the parking lot. We got to talking, and he said that "back in the late '60's, my dad went out and bought a '63 Lark Daytona, two door hardtop. It had a 3 speed overdrive trans, and a supercharger from the factory. He let me take it out a couple of times, and it'd do a little over 100 MPH in second overdrive!"

Now, that would be a cool car to find! [8D]

When he said it was a '63 Daytona, I told him I had one, and was going to pick up a second one this weekend, and it has a 4 speed. The expression on his face was priceless. I'll bet it was the first time in 30 years that he spoke to someone that had a '63 Daytona HT! (Or two, for that matter. )

BTW, more on my 'new' car once we get it home on Sunday. [^]

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

here's the latest on mine. no, I haven't started the paint yet and trim rings are on the way. then on to the interior! (yes, playing with the car often takes precedence over cutting the grass)

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
        1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Yeah; you are right Matt it would be a cool car to find, since we don't know of any 3 speeds built with a wimpy T-86 Overdrive, and they were no longer using the old '58 long tail T-85 that would have been able to handle an R2![:0] [:0]

This one sounds like the tale about the '59 Lark with a 352 Packard and a Supercharger! Lol!

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

A guy walked into the store today, and commented on the green Lark in the parking lot. We got to talking, and he said that "back in the late '60's, my dad went out and bought a '63 Lark Daytona, two door hardtop. It had a 3 speed overdrive trans, and a supercharger from the factory.
          StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Yeah; you are right Matt it would be a cool car to find, since we don't know of any 3 speeds built with a wimpy T-86 Overdrive, and they were no longer using the old '58 long tail T-85 that would have been able to handle an R2![:0] [:0]

This one sounds like the tale about the '59 Lark with a 352 Packard and a Supercharger! Lol!

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            'Might have to disagree with you, Rich. My 1960 Lark V-8/overdrive was a well-worn old car when I installed the R2 cam and complete supercharger setup on it circa 1967. I ran it pretty hard, and it ran doggone good, if I do say so myself, as a daily driver before retiring it.

The little T-86/OD never gave any trouble...and I spent a lot of time in second overdrive with the revs built up, ready to pounce on anyone cruising around 30-40 MPH. A quick mash to straight second at that speed was really hard to catch...a competitor might try to downshift his 4-speed, but the Lark got into straight second a lot faster than anyone could manually downshift another car!

I strongly suspect Studebaker would have built an overdrive R2 in 1963 if someone made enough noise. 'Haven't seen documentation to that effect, though...so if this story is true, it probably was a home-assembled car.

Remember, there is documentation proving they built a heavy, R2-powered 1964 Daytona convertible with standard-duty (not Powershift or HD), column-shift Flightomatic: VIN 64V7089, shipped to Virginia. Laguna Blue, Blue Vinyl non-reclining individual seats, black top, R2/Flightomatic.

64V7089 had both the weight and the power to potentially destroy a standard-duty Flightomatic in short order, but they built the car anyway.[:0] BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Well, I guess by 1964 Bob anything they could sell was a good thing.

John Clements
              Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
              Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
              Lockleys South Australia
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

Well, I guess by 1964 Bob anything they could sell was a good thing.

John Clements
                Even though we aren't in church, all I can say is AMEN, John! BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I've never heard of Overdrive equipped R2 cars either. But, I DO know of a '63 Wagonaire with an R1 and OD. One of only three built, if I remember right.

Hey George, that car looks good! I like the grille and wheel treatment. [^]

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                  X