This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Lark Custom R2 Window Trim Question

Restoring a 63 Lark 2 door sedan it is the Custom trim level. Around the glass, on the exterior of the doors, there are three pieces of stainless trim. It looks as though they were compression fitted on at the factory. On two of the pieces, have two tabs that fold over on the inside of the door. The last piece does not have a tab. I am sure by lifting these two tabs, these pieces are just not going to fall off. Question 1, is it better to remove this stainless prior to painting the car or is it better to tape over them and leave them on the car? While the car is going through a ground up restoration, these pieces look like a nightmare project to put back on. Unless someone is able to explain a way that I have not thought of with a rubber mallet and block of wood. Question 2, how tough are they to get off without damaging? Question 3, how tough are they to put back on?

Also I am looking for a main wiring harness for the same car (1963 Lark Custom, 289, 4 speed, R2, 2 door). Are these even being reproduced? Also in need of a nos/excellent used black dash and seat covers. Seats are solid black, fronts are buckets and rear is your regular bench seat. On the seats, I would be open to black with white inserts. Any ideas?

Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you

I used to own a 63 Lark Custom 2 door sedan which I sold a few years ago. I had the same questions about the window trim. I decided to keep in on and paint around it, but maybe someone else has other ideas. The wiring harness is available from Studebaker International. They also sell a dashboard overlay, if you can't find a decent dash. I had Phantom make my seat covers. They did a beautiful job but they were expensive. Below is a picture of the car.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I used to own a 63 Lark Custom 2 door sedan which I sold a few years ago. I had the same questions about the window trim. I decided to keep in on and paint around it, but maybe someone else has other ideas. The wiring harness is available from Studebaker International. They also sell a dashboard overlay, if you can't find a decent dash. I had Phantom make my seat covers. They did a beautiful job but they were expensive. Below is a picture of the car.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Yep. Unless there is rust growing out from behind that trim, it is best to leave it alone and mask carefully.

Herman Thoms of The Thoms Brothers at Studebakers West, regular Turning Wheels advertisers, can fix you up with a repro wiring harness made to order.

New black dash "pads" are not available, but I understand green ones ARE. Just dye a green one black.

Seat upholstery is readily available from Phantom Auto Works, or maybe a little cheaper but not quite as faithful a reproduction, from John Poulos here on the forum. (Hopefully, JP will not shoot me [:0] for that observation, but not everybody can afford premium stuff and it is nice to have quite usable new material available for a lot less money). [^]

Black vinyl with white vinyl inserts was available (Order Code 712BKV for 1963 Custom 2-DR) and may have even been more common than all black (Order Code 7121BKV), as the car is now. Either arrangement is "correct" as to authenticity, if that is of concern to you.

Those were nice cars, and an R2/4-speed is really desirable. Congrats on seriously tackling one. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yep. Unless there is rust growing out from behind that trim, it is best to leave it alone and mask carefully.

Herman Thoms of The Thoms Brothers at Studebakers West, regular Turning Wheels advertisers, can fix you up with a repro wiring harness made to order.

New black dash "pads" are not available, but I understand green ones ARE. Just dye a green one black.

Seat upholstery is readily available from Phantom Auto Works, or maybe a little cheaper but not quite as faithful a reproduction, from John Poulos here on the forum. (Hopefully, JP will not shoot me [:0] for that observation, but not everybody can afford premium stuff and it is nice to have quite usable new material available for a lot less money). [^]

Black vinyl with white vinyl inserts was available (Order Code 712BKV for 1963 Custom 2-DR) and may have even been more common than all black (Order Code 7121BKV), as the car is now. Either arrangement is "correct" as to authenticity, if that is of concern to you.

Those were nice cars, and an R2/4-speed is really desirable. Congrats on seriously tackling one. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
          X