Aiming fog lights? '53 Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aiming fog lights? '53 Coupe

I've seen no reference anywhere on where foglights should be aimed, regardless of make, model or year.

The aiming screws in the '53 seem totalling inaccessible once the housings are mounted on the bumper.

So, I guess I have a two part question. Where? How?

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Gee Brad,

I was going to ask the same question, but I figured one light aiming question at a time was enough. If you find out, let me know.

Alan Mende
    Hummelstown, PA
    Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

The truck instructions say the beam should hit a headlight adjusting chart 4" to 6" below the measured distance from the center of the lamps to the floor at 25' away from the chart. The car instructions say to use a standard headlight adjusting chart but doesn't specify where the beam should hit, but normally they would be set just below the low beams on the chart.
      The wrench that comes with a full kit is a thin, offset, open end wrench. It resembles those cheap stamped things that used to be sold as 'ignition wrenches'. The offset is what allows you to get in between the housing and the lamp and reach the adjusters.

Dwain G.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Hello Brad and Dwain,

Here is the chart from William Crouse's book:

Surprisingly, my headlights were right on except that I had the low beams hooked up to the high beam indicator. I interchanged the wires on terminal block under the hood. I aimed the fog lights, too, using a 5mm combination wrench to turn the adjusters.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
        Hummelstown, PA
        Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
        Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

Working...
        X