What does it really mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it really mean?

What does off-frame restoration mean. I am only 12 bolts from being able to remove the body from the frame. I am thinking about putting new rubber cushions at each location but what else should be done so that I can honestly "brag" about it being an off-frame restoration?

1950 2 timer
    Orleans, Indiana
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Usually, "frame Off" restoration means the body was removed from the frame, and the frame was stripped down to bare metal and rust removed. Then the frame was repainted and the suspension and steering and fuel delivery system was rebuilt and reinstalled. The body would be rust repaired and reprimed, and then reinstalled before the car was reassembled using new or rebuilt components. Just removing it from the frame, replacing the rubber pads, and reassembling it isn't the same thing.

Comment

This is what I thought but wanted to know what others thought.
      Thank you for taking time to answer my question.

Jimmie

1950 2 timer
      Orleans, Indiana
      sigpicJimmie
      Orange County, Indiana
      1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

I thought it was called "frame-off" or "body-off". I put a body lift on my 4wd...I guess I might've restored some part of it at the same time..."For Sale--4WD with frame-off restoration...

Comment

I think if you unbolt the body, lift it up, replace the cushions and bolt it back on, you could rightly claim credit as a "frame off" restoration. Obviously, the term implys a bit more, but...

Steve Hudson
          The Dalles, Oregon
          1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
          1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
          1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
          1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
          1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
          The Dalles, Oregon
          1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
          1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
          1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

That's a real gray-area term. It implies that the body was removed and frame restored as whacker stated, PLUS the body was stripped and put on a rotisserie, turned over, and the bottom stripped, repaired, and painted, then installed on the frame; then the rest done. It would also imply proper metal repair, with rust replaced with new metal, and proper surface prep underneath. Some also call it a "rotisserie restoration", which is a little less ambiguous a term.

As you can see, the term can be used rather loosely. It can potentially be a problem if/when you sell.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

A frame off is only to be bragged about if you did it yourself or if the quality is super and dollars are the goal. I have seen frame off's not as nice as body ons.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Working...
              X