This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omaha drag strip

Took my 41 Champion with R-2 to the local strip last night, turned out to be a great embarrassment as it suffered from fuel starvation halfway down the 1/8th mile. Especially bad since I ran it twice and both times had to go up against some nitrous sniffing pro street Ch..y that blew me into next week. The fuel line is partially plugged again for the third time after having the tank cleaned twice. Some stuff that has the consistency of cured rubber ala silicone sealer keeps plugging up my fuel filter back by the tank, it is clear in color. The liquid tank sealer I had done is red in color and I now have a locked gas cap so that rules out vandalism so the mystery continues.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

Took my 41 Champion with R-2 to the local strip last night, turned out to be a great embarrassment as it suffered from fuel starvation halfway down the 1/8th mile. Especially bad since I ran it twice and both times had to go up against some nitrous sniffing pro street Ch..y that blew me into next week. The fuel line is partially plugged again for the third time after having the tank cleaned twice. Some stuff that has the consistency of cured rubber ala silicone sealer keeps plugging up my fuel filter back by the tank, it is clear in color. The liquid tank sealer I had done is red in color and I now have a locked gas cap so that rules out vandalism so the mystery continues.
    Frank,
    If you don't get it fixed prior to the meet, I'll race ya' [}]

(I hope you get it fixed, that '41 should FLY with that R2 and I'd like to see that [])

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

Frank,
      If you don't get it fixed prior to the meet, I'll race ya' [}]

(I hope you get it fixed, that '41 should FLY with that R2 and I'd like to see that [])

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Its highly unlikely that it won't be fixed by meet time Dick,matter of fact I'm going to work on it today.Then I will go back and try again later this week and report. That is why I went down there to do some test runs and get my reaction time down(hard to do for an old man)It has been 40 years since I have been on a dragstrip.Got my reaction time down to .042 on the second run, not bad for an old guy.The guy in the other lane ran 146 mph in the 1/8 mile now that is some serious power.It launches good with the 3.73 rear and feels real strong until it runs out of fuel.I run a 2004R GM Transmission with a little higher stall convertor.Hope you have a good run to Omaha, sure is a long run from WA. for all you guys coming from there, did it last year to Spokane in a brand X.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Its highly unlikely that it won't be fixed by meet time Dick,matter of fact I'm going to work on it today.Then I will go back and try again later this week and report. That is why I went down there to do some test runs and get my reaction time down(hard to do for an old man)It has been 40 years since I have been on a dragstrip.Got my reaction time down to .042 on the second run, not bad for an old guy.The guy in the other lane ran 146 mph in the 1/8 mile now that is some serious power.It launches good with the 3.73 rear and feels real strong until it runs out of fuel.I run a 2004R GM Transmission with a little higher stall convertor.Hope you have a good run to Omaha, sure is a long run from WA. for all you guys coming from there, did it last year to Spokane in a brand X.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Frank,I've seen the jelly or rubbery stuff you're talking about. Kind of a mystery. Did you let the sealer cure for a couple days before putting gas in the tank? Another thing that kills an R2 is blowing fuel back to the tank. I'm sure you have taken care of it but the blower pressure line running to the top of the fuel pump needs to be free of obstructions. I've also seen the top of the diaphram and the blower to fuel pump line fill with oil from the engine and limit the fuel supply. The oil comes from an inadequate seal at the arm to diaphram connection. Just some thoughts.

Comment

Frank,I've seen the jelly or rubbery stuff you're talking about. Kind of a mystery. Did you let the sealer cure for a couple days before putting gas in the tank? Another thing that kills an R2 is blowing fuel back to the tank. I'm sure you have taken care of it but the blower pressure line running to the top of the fuel pump needs to be free of obstructions. I've also seen the top of the diaphram and the blower to fuel pump line fill with oil from the engine and limit the fuel supply. The oil comes from an inadequate seal at the arm to diaphram connection. Just some thoughts.

Comment

Nels thanks for the suggestions, I have pinned it down to rust flakes that partially plugged the fuel filter enough to starve the engine at high RPM but not at highway speeds. The tank will once again be coming off for a return trip to the radiator shop that put the liner in. No clear silicone looking stuff this time though, that means that problem has been resolved. The liner by the way was given plenty of time to cure as per their instructions.But this last time they cleaned it some of the liner must have been compromised as the flakes attest to in my humble professional opinion. Our schoolbus barn where I used to be the shop foreman(now retired)has used this shop for many years with few complaints.
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Nels thanks for the suggestions, I have pinned it down to rust flakes that partially plugged the fuel filter enough to starve the engine at high RPM but not at highway speeds. The tank will once again be coming off for a return trip to the radiator shop that put the liner in. No clear silicone looking stuff this time though, that means that problem has been resolved. The liner by the way was given plenty of time to cure as per their instructions.But this last time they cleaned it some of the liner must have been compromised as the flakes attest to in my humble professional opinion. Our schoolbus barn where I used to be the shop foreman(now retired)has used this shop for many years with few complaints.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Lesson learned when you have a plastic liner in your fuel tank. Don't solder on it like I did when I had brain fade. It gets the plastic liner too hot and turns it into something resembling potato chips and starts ciculating through the fuel system. This is why the 41 quit halfway down the strip as it plugged up the fuel filter. Better now then when all you guys are down here in Omaha. Should be ready for another run Friday next week, stay tuned.
                    Frank van Doorn
                    Omaha, Ne.
                    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Lesson learned when you have a plastic liner in your fuel tank. Don't solder on it like I did when I had brain fade. It gets the plastic liner too hot and turns it into something resembling potato chips and starts ciculating through the fuel system. This is why the 41 quit halfway down the strip as it plugged up the fuel filter. Better now then when all you guys are down here in Omaha. Should be ready for another run Friday next week, stay tuned.
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Working...
                      X