This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zip van name question

Here is a weird question and I don't know if there will be a firm answer or not. Did the Studebaker Zip Van get it's name from "zip codes" or from supposed speedy delivery of the mail, or from something else?

Was part of the new (then) Zip Code push.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Was part of the new (then) Zip Code push.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The original prototype model as shown to the USPS had the name Vanette on the cover lid/flap for the radiator cap. It's visible in some literature.

[img] http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/53C.jpg [/img]
        Dwain G.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

The original prototype model as shown to the USPS had the name Vanette on the cover lid/flap for the radiator cap. It's visible in some literature.

[img] http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/53C.jpg [/img]
          Dwain G.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Aside from its obvious meaning, ZIP stood for Zone Improvement Plan. The government has always loved creating acronyms that have double meanings. The Zone Improvement Plan assigned a unique five-digit number to every delivery area. Small Post Offices got a single Zip Code, and large ones serviced several Zip Codes. So, for example, the old "Washington 25, DC" became "Washington DC 20025". Later, another four-digit suffix was added to identify individual addresses or postal routes. In order to promote public acceptance of Zip Codes (believe it or not, some people viewed them as a plot by Big Brother to interfere in their lives and resisted using them) just about everything the Post Office did in those days had the word Zip attached to it in some way.
            Skip
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Aside from its obvious meaning, ZIP stood for Zone Improvement Plan. The government has always loved creating acronyms that have double meanings. The Zone Improvement Plan assigned a unique five-digit number to every delivery area. Small Post Offices got a single Zip Code, and large ones serviced several Zip Codes. So, for example, the old "Washington 25, DC" became "Washington DC 20025". Later, another four-digit suffix was added to identify individual addresses or postal routes. In order to promote public acceptance of Zip Codes (believe it or not, some people viewed them as a plot by Big Brother to interfere in their lives and resisted using them) just about everything the Post Office did in those days had the word Zip attached to it in some way.
              Skip
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Talk to older people and they'll tell you the Zip Code spelled the end of good post office service. A few years after Zip codes were adopted (circa 1962-1963) twice-a-day mail service ended and things slowed down considerably. To anyone who has worked in government and knows how "steamlining" goes, this should come as no surprise! Slightly more than off-topic and I apologize.

Studedude1961
                --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Talk to older people and they'll tell you the Zip Code spelled the end of good post office service. A few years after Zip codes were adopted (circa 1962-1963) twice-a-day mail service ended and things slowed down considerably. To anyone who has worked in government and knows how "steamlining" goes, this should come as no surprise! Slightly more than off-topic and I apologize.

Studedude1961
                  --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                  X