RA Ratio ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RA Ratio ?

This should be obvious, but I figured I'd ask just in case. I bought a bunch of M5 parts from a rod conversion (a darn nice job too, sorry I didn't get any pics). Anyway there is a rear axle assembly and I want to figure out the ratio. I can't find any tags or markings on the housing, so is it simply a matter of putting a mark on the input shaft and one on the brake drum and then counting the revolutions of each to get the ratio?

Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
    1961 Lark Crusier
    1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Just count the teeth on the ring and pinion gears, and divide. That's the most accurate way.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

You have to mark both brake drums and then turn them both the same amount. Get a helper. I would be looking for the yoke to turn about five revs as the drums turn only one. Just under five turns would be 4:88, 4 1/2 turns 4:56, Just over 4 turns: 4:11, just under 4 turns: 3:90..and the beat goes on...

Comment

Working...
      X