Grace comes to life...after a 5 year nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grace comes to life...after a 5 year nap

Cue up the theremin music (you know, that other-worldly electronic ooo-eee-ooo music heard so often in old science fiction and horror movies).

Sometime between 6 and 7 PM this evening, after five years of dormancy, I finally was able to fire Grace up. It's amazing how easily a Studebaker will start when you get the distributor in correctly. After finding I had it 180 degrees out of phase and reinstalling it, I found it was still off by 45 degrees (rotor pointing to No. 8 cylinder tower on the distributor when No. 1 cylinder was at TDC). A touch of ether, a press on the remote starter switch, and she came to life, immediately running as smooth as silk.

Of course, I still have more to do before I take her out on the road. I already filled the transmission with ATF, and two days ago, I had all 5 Coker wide whitewall radials balanced. Tomorrow I have to get myself a bunch of new grease fittings for the front end, and I'm going to have to take the heater core out to have it fixed. It's leaking. (Would have been nice if I had had it checked out BEFORE I put it in.) A front end alignment is on the list, too, but that shouldn't keep me from the first show of the season this coming Tuesday -- a small lunchtime affair by the company I work for in Harrisburg, PA, Tyco Electronics.

Keep 'em rollin'

Alan Mende
    Hummelstown, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.
    Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Grantville, PA

alan,

Jog our memories, eh? So far, we know that Grace is an 8-cylinder Studebaker. A particular model name would make visualization alot easier!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

alan,

Jog our memories, eh? So far, we know that Grace is an 8-cylinder Studebaker. A particular model name would make visualization alot easier!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

In the 2007 SDC Roster, Alan is listed as having a 1954 Commander Starliner.
        JWW

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing your Stude at some local shows alan.

Jeff Sheaffer
          60 Hawk
          Jeff Sheaffer
          Driving the past into the future

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Unless something unforeseen comes up, you'll be able to see Grace, our '54 Commander Starliner, at Macungie's Das Awkscht Fescht August 2nd and 3rd, the SDC international meet in Lancaster, and at Hershey in October. Mind you, however, we have a driver, not what I'd call a No. 1 show car. I'll have it judged in Lancaster and Hershey just to see how the restoration shop's and my work scores. Antique and Classic Restorations did a fantastic job on the body and paint work. The Phantom interior looks great, too. I'm pretty proud of my work under the hood, but since this was not a body off frame restoration, the under carriage is only relatively clean.

Alan
            Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
            Grantville, PA

Comment

Working...
            X